Crucial Storage Executive

Memory Leak Geek

Re: Crucial Storage Executive

Having worked out how to verify my email address and actually post to the forum, i thought i'd add my experiences.

I installed the 64bit version on my Win 7 64bit system. When the browser GUI finally opened (after approx 3 minutes) it told me that i had 6GB RAM (correct, but i already knew that). When i clicked on 'drive details' after another 3 minutes i was informed that no drives were found. This surprised me as i had taken no steps to hide my BX100, which contains my operating system.

I went the telephone help route and suffered several cut-offs. Over a period of several days and several retellings of the problem to different people, I was told all sorts of reasons for the failure. First it was because Crucial were having server problems that would soon be fixed, but try reinstalling anyway. Later it was a BIOS problem  (something about AHI/AHEI) and having entered my BIOS and opened 'advanced' as instructed I was then told to "use windows 32 bit". I realised the trip into the BIOS was an abortive waste of time and that i was now being instructed to uninstall 64bit Storage Executive (for the umpteenth time) and download and install 32bit Storage Executive.

By this tiem i suspected straws were being clutched at. I nevertheless did as asked (i was surprised to see 32bit installed into 'Program Files' and not 'Program Files (X86)'. Anyway, the outcome was exactly the same as before so i asked if there was anyone there who knew what they were doing.

The person i next spoke to mentioned something about it being a 'firewall problem' and then blamed my computer. When i said that i had not had a problem with the many other apps i had installed (including The SanDisk utility) he said that no-one else had had problems with Storage Executive. Clearly a quick read here confirms this statement to be about as accurate as all the others.

Thank goodness it was a freephone number!

So, if anyone here has any expertise that can help me get this app running i would be most oblidged.

Binary Boss

Use other tools for getting the SMART-values and update firmwares using the ISOs.

It's really the best adivce to stay clear of the Storage Expletive.

Memory Leak Geek

[ Edited ]

Don't worry, i did the firmware update via my CD drive. No way was i going to risk Storage Execrable crshing half way through. What tool would you recommend to do what SE should be doing - other than firmware updates of course?

JEDEC Jedi

Health/drive details/SMART - CrystalDiskInfo

Sanitize (secure erase) - PartedMagicvideo guide

PSID Revert - msed

Smiley Happy

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Memory Leak Geek

Thanks for that. However, crystaldiskinfo shows my crucial drive as health = unknown and all the attributes from 01 to F5 as current 100, worst 100 and Threshold 0. Most of the raw values are zero too. I'll freely admit i'm not sure what the figures mean or what i'm looking for, but does that summary even seem sensible? Why health 'unknown'?

JEDEC Jedi

[ Edited ]

Oh, you have BX100. I am sorry, I didn't catch that.

It is relatively new member to Crucial SSD family and most likely vendors of SMART monitoring tools haven't updated their applications yet. That is probably why CDI shows health 'unknown'. 

The SMART attributes for other models are documented preety well but Crucial have no SMART datasheet for BX100. Since Crucial hard code most of the 'Current' and 'Worst' values to 100 and 'thresholds' to 0 we are interested in RAW values. If the RAW value is zero it means for example you have zero UltraDMA CRC errors. 

I know that Storage Executive GUI doesn't work for you but provided you still have it installed you could try to run elevated command prompt, browse to C:\Program Files\Crucial\Storage Executive    folder (Storage Executive shoul be installed to that folder) and run following command

msecli -S

It should list the SMART values for the supported parameters for your drive. I don't think that I have seen full SMART attributes list for BX100 so it would be useful to know that output.

Memory Leak Geek

Thanks bogdan. msecli -S (eventually) reports

CMD_STATUS   : No supported drives found in the system

STATUS_CODE : 10

followed by the micron copyright notice.

So a bit like storage executive really :-(

JEDEC Jedi

[ Edited ]

I thought it could possibly work, it's a pity it didn't work for you.

Below is the list of attributes that should be valid for the SiliconMotion controller used in BX100. It has been published in Jan 2014, I am pretty sure attributes 01-B1 have correct names, not sure about the rest of them but they should be okay. Note that not all of them can be used by BX100's firmware and also BX100 use F5 attribute that is not present on the list.

01 Raw Read error rate
05 Reallocated sectors count
09 Power-on hours count
0C Power cycle count
A0 Uncorrectable sector count
A1 Valid spare blocks
A3 Initial invalid blocks
A4 Total erase count
A5 Maximum erase count
A6 Minimum erase count
A7 Average erase count
A8 Max erase count of spec
A9 Percentage Lifetime Remaining
AF Worst Program Fail Count
B0 Worst Erase Fail Count
B1 Total wearlevel count
B2 Runtime invalid block count
B5 Total program fail count
B6 Total erase fail count
BB Uncorrectable error count
C0 Power-off retract count
C2 Controlled temperature
C3 Hardware ECC recovered
C4 Reallocation event count
C6 Uncorrectable error count off-line
C7 UltraDMA CRC error count
E1 Total LBAs written (each write unit = 32MB)
E8 Available reserved space
F1 Total LBAs written (each write unit = 32MB)
F2 Total LBAs read (each write unit = 32MB)

As for the issue you have - I would probably check if the SATA driver installed in the system is not too old. I think that it could be possibly malfunctioning specific Serial ATA driver that interferes with how the application work. Also check what applications are running in the background. In the past I have expereinced some issues when running two SMART monitoring tools and/or proprietary SSD tools at the same time. So if the SanDisk utility is running in the background try to turn it off. 

I am afraid I won't be of more help here.

Memory Leak Geek

Thanks - i'm looking at updating the chipset drivers (i assume that's the same as sata driver?). It is however quite an old MOBO (P5N32-eSLI) that does not afaics support AHCI (whatever that is) which seems to be important. My old sandisk utility did work without AHCI (whatever that is) but i unistalled that a while ago when i sold the SanDisk SSD.

I think perhaps a new MOBO is the long-term solution.

JEDEC Jedi

[ Edited ]

Drives should work without AHCI.  But performance wise, AHCI is important to all drives.

AHCI provides a feature called NCQ which allows the drive to decide the optimal way to carry out its duties rather than blindly following Windows: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Command_Queuing

We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?