Crucial m4 firmware 010G is now available

Kilobyte Kid

Re: Crucial m4 firmware 010G is now available

Updating to 010G didn't help at all for me.

Kilobyte Kid

New firmware 040H/04MH is on it's way, since I've downgraded from 010G to 000F my M4 has behaved itself so I'm staying with 000F, don't fancy being a Beta tester for Crucial again.

Kilobyte Kid

So does this firmware solve these issues?

Kilobyte Kid

At this moment there is no newer firmware than 010G for the m4 SATA SSDs.

Kilobyte Kid

Thanks for the advice BigBlack, I've kept on trying to power cycle my drive by doing exactly what you mentioned, power on, straight to BIOS, leave it for 20-30 mins, turn off, unplug SSD, wait a minute, plug back in, repeat, and just nothing is happening.

Now onto my third week without a laptop, this just seems crazy to me! Appreciate the thought in your work around but I don't think it's acceptable for me to be expected (not by you, by Crucial) to have to go out and buy cables and perform risky procedures to try to get their own drive working after installing a firmware they released!

Is there an RMA procedure I could use, considering I bought my drive a couple years ago? Would they send a replacement free of charge?

Thanks again.

Kilobyte Kid

Dear zooom, of course you should not be expected to perform a risky procedure to have a working drive. It would not be risky of course should you have a desktop instead of a laptop. Maybe a friend of yours with a desktop can help you out?

As for an RMA, I think all m4s have a 3 year warranty, so you could try this link to initiate an RMA.

Good luck!

Kilobyte Kid

SandShark wrote:

SSD: Crucial M4 256GB, pruchased 04/2012

I'm now having the disapearing SSD problem too, but I'm still using the 0309 fm. Never updated it because for 7 months I've never had any problems - until the last few days.

Symptoms: After a shutdown, Win7 won't load, error message, and my M4 is not seen in my BIOS, but other drives are listed fine. Restarts don't help. Only after leaving the PC for a while and resetting the CMOS does the M4 finally show up, but the timing is random - sometimes it takes several CMOS clearings. Once it appears in the BIOS I have to switch the Boot order back to the M4, and then Win7 loads up and runs fine. There are no errors or freezing once Win7 is running, the problem happens only when the PC is shutdown. So, I'm just keeping it on 24/7 for now.

I was going to update the firmware to 010G, but after reading the various problems here, is it safe to update my M4 to the new firmware?

Is there a solution to my M4's problem, or is it at the RMA stage?

Thanks, SS

Damm, the exact same symptoms began happening yestetrday to my M4 64Gb Crucial, but it had the old 0009 firmware.

Was it the 5000 hour bug causing it to freeze?

It had over 5300 hours of operation.

Anyway, I upgraded to 010G and things are stable now............

Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

Which firmware fixed the 5000 bug problem? 0309 (this it the one before 000F, right) ?

What's wrong with the naming convention of their firmwares? Why can't they just name them in chronolgical order for God's sake?

Kilobyte Kid

I found that if I pulled the drive out, I could get into the bios and set it to boot from CD first,    The other thing that seemed to work was starting it, hitting F2 for bios and leaving it for 20-30 minutes.  Then I forced a power off with thepower switch, and restarted again.  After 4-5 times, the drive would reappear.  However, it did keep disappearing at what seemed to be random intervals, sometimes associated with a reboot.  I got bored with this, and, on one of the occasions when it was working, I flashed it back to 000F, and it's been stable since then. 

So, if you could download the firmware and burn the iso to a CD, then if one of these methods gets your drive to work even once, you could flash it.  Come to think of it, I don't know if the flashing software would find a drive that is "hiding".

Anyway, we're all sympathetic.  And I, for one, will not be so quick to install the latest firmware for anything in the future.  Good luck,

Joe

Dual Channel Surfer

kevindd992002 wrote:

Which firmware fixed the 5000 bug problem? 0309 (this it the one before 000F, right) ?

What's wrong with the naming convention of their firmwares? Why can't they just name them in chronolgical order for God's sake?

Perhaps they are using some sort of little endian numbering system. Smiley Happy

0001 -> 0002 -> 0009 -> 0309 -> 000F

But little endian and big endian refers to byte ordering in CPU architectures and those bytes are normally expressed in HEX... and 010G is not HEX.

To answer the question, yes 0309 fixed the 5184 hour bug.