Crucial's suggested block size for SSD formatting

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

Crucial's suggested block size for SSD formatting

Hi all.

I'm going to purchase a Crucial M500  480GB SSD.

I will install it in a DELL Latitude E6420 (checked compatibility on Crucial's web site).

I will reinstall Windows 8 64bit (or probably 8.1) on this SSD in a single partition.

Could you please specify if there is a suggested block size with which I should format the SSD during Windows setup ?

I've seen different info on this topic on the web but, if I correctly understand, there's an important relation with the device architecture and the best setting. Being the M500 a recent device, I'm searching for both not so old info from a more authoritative source...

Thank you and regards,

Mario

4 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Crucial's suggested block size for SSD formatting

Windows Vista and newer will sort all that out themselves if you let the Windows setup partition the drive.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Thank you targetbsp.

Just to better understand, does this mean that there is no official suggestion based on the laptop usage, kind of data traffic, files size, database oriented kind of operation or similar ?

Thank you,

Mario

JEDEC Jedi

The only issue there has ever been with regards to this is the partition offset, rather than the cluster size.  The default NTFS cluster size of 4k is fine.

Hard drives use a 512byte sector size and SSD's use a multiple of 4k page sizes.  The problem was that XP and older partitions were created with an offset that meant a NTFS 4k cluster wasn't properly 'aligned' with the 4k pages on the SSD because this didn't matter on hard drives as it only had to line up with 0.5k sectors.  But on an SSD any single 4k read/write operation had the potential to require reading/writing parts of two 4k pages reducing performance and increasing wear on the SSD.

All that matters is that the parittion offset is a multiple of 4k so this doesn't happen.  This requires done manually in XP or with old cloning software but Vista and above create their partitions with a multiple of 4k offset anyway.

There's no different recommendation for different kinds of data usage though do note that these are consumer class drives rather than enterprise.  I mention this as you asked about databases but I can't imagine you're doing very heavy database server work on a laptop?

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Thank you for your kind and detailed answer.

About your question on databases: it was just an example... no heavy db server load is planned :-)

Thank you and regards,

Mario