Dell say Studio 17 (2xHD) cannot take SSD alongside 1xHD

SOLVED
Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

Dell say Studio 17 (2xHD) cannot take SSD alongside 1xHD

hello,  the Dell studio 17 laptop has 2 bays for 2.5inch HD,  but they say  "cannot" put a 64gb SSD (2.5inch Sata) in the second HD bay.   not clear if they meant it is Technically incompatible, or just that they dont (yet) offer such an option in their "build your own spec".   Does anyone know them to be wrong ?  any reason why an SSD wouldnt run in the second HD bay ?  

6 Replies

Re: Dell say Studio 17 (2xHD) cannot take SSD alongside 1xHD

Hi Marshalx,

As far as we are aware there is no reason why an SSD would not work in your system.  As long as it has the 2.5" SATA connection (which it does) then the drive should slot in and you can get the benefits of using such a drive.  I had a look through the Dell support page but don't see any previous customers reporting a problem and therefore no further advice on why it may be. 

What exactly did they say when you asked about it?  I would suggest going back to Dell to pursue why they are advising against it; is it perhaps a known issue they have been made aware of and what exactly causes it- firmware/ BIOS updates required?  If there is an issue, are they working on a fix?  Or is it like you said, just that they just don't have the option in their 'build your own spec" yet".

Let us know how you get on.

Maulmod, Crucial Moderator UK

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid

thanks for the reply maulmod,  but u just asking the same questions as me !

i was hoping crucial may be sufficiently interested to pursue this with dell tech on behalf of your customers ?

my questions to dell seem to have been brushed off by sales types saying "we dont actually know, so because its not on our options list, we  will say its not compatible just to be safe"   in other words non-technical waffling.. 

crucial must realise there are millions of dell computers out there, and IF there is some dell reason why crucial ssd are not compatible, then surely crucial should be interested ?   otherwise u going to loose a few thousand sales in the future.

since i cant get thru to the right experts in dell,  i wonder if you can ?   even officially on behalf of crucial ?    thanks again

Bank and Slot Hot Shot

This may be a controller compatibility issue. At one point, J Micron Controllers were causing issues when installed into systems with components working with Nvidia and Intel chipsets. Though I can't say for certain, I believe I read somewhere that this issue was fixed. So this may be why neither Crucial nor your PC manufacturer have any complete information on compatibility issues. Try the Dell forums and do a search on Crucial SSDs. The answers may be there. Let us know what you find. Smiley Happy

Kilobyte Kid

thanks  gllynn,   thats the sort of answer im fishing for.

i dont want to waste money on a Studio17 only to find out it cannot handle an SSD

have you heard of ANY sata computers in say the last year, that cannot interface with sata SSD ? 

Bank and Slot Hot Shot

No. However, not all are created equal. Do some shopping around. What you're looking for is read/write speeds. Standard SATA 2s can handle up to and equal to 300 MBs/sec. So find the drives that compliment those speeds, ie. 250 MB/s read and 200 MB/s write. I believe Crucial has some, OCZ and Intel all have drives that are pretty close to the speed ratings that will make the most of you SATA connection. Another thing, the purpose of your drive needs to be your determining factor. If you just need a basic drive with major redundancy, then MLC (Multi Layer Cell) NAND SSDs are a good place to start. They are usually bigger capacity drives as well. SLC (Single Layer Cell) is faster, but has smaller capacity. So, if an 80 GB drive is plenty for you, an SLC NAND SSD may be the perfect choice. Either choice will give you faster data transfer rates than two Western Digital Velociraptors in RAID 0, so it's a win-win situation for both the SLC and MLC SSDs.

Kilobyte Kid

ok, great news.   ill take the (now much reduced) chance then and get the 17, its an allround nice laptop.  im only an experimenter with new tech, keen to learn all the problems (sad isnt it Smiley Happy    i just ordered an OCZ  64gb + a Samsung  64gb,  so one of them should work.   ive heard of people putting 2 samsung in Raid 0 and getting amazing response.

thanks again for your conversation.   if you havent already got one, i can recommend  www.hyperossystems.co.uk

their HyperDrive (ddr2) is good, also the HyperOS program is amazing.  youll wonder how u lived without it !!