Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Binary Boss
saiyan

Does Crucial M500 SSD hardware encryption work in Windows 7

I am looking to purchase my very first SSD drvie and Crucial M500 is one of the SSD drives I'm considering to get.

According to Crucial web site, M500 has built-in hardware encryption that can be used by BitLocker in Windows 8.

Since I'm planning to keep using Winodws 7, I'm wondering if M500's hardware encryption can be utilized by Windows 7's BitLocker.   If not, what would you need to do to utilize M500's hardware encryption when running Windows 7?

I searched Crucial web site and knowledge base pages on this subject but I could NOT find anything about SSD built-in encryption and Windows 7.

If the built-in hardware encryption does not work at all with Windows 7 or if encryption only works with Windows 8, Crucial should update their product page and mention this fact on the specifciation list.

Thanks.

JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

Re: Does Crucial M500 SSD hardware encryption work in Windows 7

[ Edited ]
in reply to saiyan

I am not completely sure for M500 but I think it should work roughly about the same way as for many other SSDs out there:

The data should be encrypted and stored in encrypted way all the time. User should be able to turn the protection on/off using so called "ATA password" feature - it tells the drive that the drive should be unreadable unless you provide proper password during system boot up. As far as I have seen it in work up to day it is related to BIOS/UEFI support and it is OS independent. You should be able turn it on/off anytime with no further steps and after it's turned on (in proper BIOS menu) every time you would boot up the system it would ask you for drive password. In case of one of my HP laptops I can find it in BIOS under: Security -> DriveLock password

I guess M500 can support BitLocker in some way (or BitLocker could take some advantages from drive features) but M500 should allow you to take benefits from its hardware encryption without BitLocker too.

I hope someone from crucial will be able to confirm that or shed some light on this matter.

Edit: You may want to take a look here for instance.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid
sh4dow

in reply to bogdan

I am wondering the same thing, as there is no way in **bleep** I am going to use Windows 8.

@ bogdan:

I stumbled across that same article. It says Bitlocker only works in Windows 8 but as you said yourself - hopefully, there is some OS-independent mechanism to use the encryption.

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

in reply to sh4dow

sh4dow wrote:

I am wondering the same thing, as there is no way in **bleep** I am going to use Windows 8.

Just install StartIsBack on it and it turns into Windows 7 - with a better Task Manager. :smileyhappy:

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid
bksmith5

in reply to targetbsp

targetbsp wrote:

sh4dow wrote:

Just install StartIsBack on it and it turns into Windows 7 - with a better Task Manager. :smileyhappy:

I'll "second" this - StartIsBack, Start8 and ClassicShell can all give you a way to regain "Windows 7" functionality while allowing you to take advantage of the more streamlined OS that is Windows 8. You can also choose to return to the Windows 8 "Metro" start menu with those programs, if you choose to do so. Note: There are some things in Windows 8 that you simply have to work within that menu to accomplish. There are a number of guides on the web to help the non-Touch-enabled desktop/laptop Windows 8 user to get around the "Metro" interface.

Also: ModernMix (from Stardock - who is also the maker of Start8) will force the "Modern" or "Metro" apps to run in a windowed mode on the Desktop, if you really want to get even closer to a full Windows 7-like experience. :smileyhappy:

Our Latest Posts