EnhancedStorage / TCG Command error (Bitlocker, eDrive)

Kilobyte Kid

Re: EnhancedStorage / TCG Command error (Bitlocker, eDrive)

Firstly, I can absolutely confirm the ST3000DM002 runs with hardware edrive encryption under bitlocker. All appropriate standards are fully supported to that end. Lists go out of date. Check the drive's documentation if you feel the need. It also supports secure erase. You could use it as a boot drive, but the Crucial is better.

No need to fear a larger boot drive when it's an SSD. Put both OS and games on it in one partition. Big drive means no worries. The data drive can be a massive HDD that can act as media tank and huge game shed.

The problem is that Crucial drives with the bug can't stand to hold a second encrypted partition, whether that be because you ask it to have an encrypted boot partition as well as an encrypted data partition, or ask it to hold an encrypted data partition whilst another drive holds an encrypted boot partition. The Crucial must be either the encrypted boot drive or the boot drive must remain unencrypted and then the Crucial drive can act as an encrypted data drive.
Kilobyte Kid

As an update (and to give confidence), SeaTools (Seagate's drive management utility) with the ST3000DM002 will allow me to enable and disable IEEE 1667 capability. The results are predictable, of course. If anyone has any concerns, I can reassure you that this drive is very much bitlocker compatible.

Kilobyte Kid

Thank you again for your confirmation Smiley Happy

I installed SeaTools now and looked into it's documentation, too. The whole thing regarding encryption seems to be much more straight forward with their drives than I thought. I ordered the ST3000DM002 now. Seems to be the only consumer HDD which has full eDrive support.

Kilobyte Kid

FYI, there is another thread about this here from 2014!!

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/Problem-with-MX100-256GB-Lost-data-SSD-Windows-8-1-Bitlocke...

I have the same problem on Windows 10 64bit using Bitlocker on a Crucial M550 (with MU02 firmware) that is not the boot drive. I don't have a TPM so I'm using Bitlocker with a password on the system drive.

After turning on Bitlocker with the M550, all looks well. Then I power off/on and after the system comes back up, the drive will show an unlocked padlock on the icon in explorer but trying to access it results in a prompt to reformat the drive. Examining the drive in the windows disk management tool shows that it is a healthy RAW partition. I have not found a way to recover my partition, despite possessing Bitlocker the recovery key. Fortunately, I had a backup of the critical stuff. Steam is going to be busy redownloading though.

This is a *HUGE* oversight and as more people begin to upgrade their primary SSDs and relegate older ones to secondary storage, I imagine it will start to hit people more. Crucial, please try this at home and fix.

Kilobyte Kid

True...

At the moment, you just can't use Crucial SSDs for anything else than non-critical stuff, at least if you are concerned about security and privacy.

I am only using it for games right now because there it doesn't matter when someone steal it and get access to the data.

JEDEC Jedi

Has anyone reported that directly to Crucial Customer Service?

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid

I used the 'Contact Us' email option yesterday I believe. I have not even received an automated confirmation email from them. I also tweeted about it and mentioned their @CrucialMemory account. No response there either.

(I didn't guess that you had to verify your email before posts would go through. Only saw their email later.)

Community Manager

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your comments.

I am sorry that you’re having problems enabling Bitlocker on your drives.  I have passed your details on to our technical team to investigate this further.

Thank you for your patience so far and I will update you as soon as I have had a reply.   If you do have any questions at all, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Crucial_Junket, Crucial Moderator, UK

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I am also suddenly having much issue using bit locker hardware encryption, with black screen boots (TPM lock). Possibly something to do with W10 anniversary update, I think. Not sure if it's causing issue with my 1.2 TPM or the Crucial MX100. Got a 2.0 TPM on order to see.
Kilobyte Kid

Right, after a lot of messing about I have not solved this yet. I keep getting a black screen lock at boot due to this, so bitlocker is off.

I've reinstalled from fresh, the only thing I've not tried is a psid revert and I'm trying to get an external drive to boot windows to do this.

Basically, it seems this drive is no longer compatible with Windows 10 bitlocker. It's going to be really annoying to have to buy an alternative replacement. The problem is too significant to wait a long time for Crucial to address it, and if they need to work with Microsoft to do it this could be a very long wait.

Sort of depends on the feedback we get from Crucial. I'm still hopeful.