Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Binary Boss
feffer
Accepted Solution

Failed SSD

[ Edited ]

I bought 2 Crucial SSDs (RealSSD C300) in 64GB and 128GB. They are installed in my Dell i7 tower. The 128 has Win7 and the 64 has 3 linux distros. Both worked well initially and the 128 is still working. However, about 8 months ago, I began to have problems on the linux side with freezes and stalls shortly after booting. These were intermittent, sometimes happening 4-5 times in a row and sometimes OK for days. Initially, I did not suspect the SSD and tried many software tweaks. Eventually I concluded it was a hardware problem; either the SSD, the graphics card, or something... The Crucial SSD came with firmware 6, but I flashed it to 7. I checked the SSD with linux smartmontools, but it reported OK. Finally, the freezes & crashes became even more common. These were hard freezes that required power-button restarts...not good! 

The SSD was installed properly and the linux TRIM feature enabled from the beginning. As I said, it worked fine initially. Finally, I took the Crucial 64GB out and put another SSD in its place. I formatted that SSD in the same way and put images of my linux distros on it. These were NOT new installs, but images of the OS that were on the Crucial. The machine works fine now. No more freezes, so it seems the Crucial 64GB was the cause of the freezes.

These SSDs were purchased on 3/18/2011. That was over 2 years ago. I first thought, well Crucial will never do anything about this, so just write them off and never buy from them again. However, I have used Crucial Ram for years almost exclusively and never had an issue with either the Ram or the company. So I'm hoping that this was just a rare defective item and that Crucial might stand up about it. Anything I can do about it?

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

Re: Failed SSD

in reply to feffer

feffer wrote:

These SSDs were purchased on 3/18/2011. That was over 2 years ago. I first thought, well Crucial will never do anything about this,

The SSD's have a 3 year warranty. :smileyhappy:  Contact customer services for your region (link in my signature) for help.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Binary Boss
feffer

in reply to targetbsp

I did contact customer service and was impressed with their professional response. They are sending out a replacement drive. As mentioned, I've bought lots of Ram from Crucial and never had a bad stick! I'm glad I posted rather than just fuming. Defects can happen, but companies that stand behind their products get high marks!

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

in reply to feffer

Hi feffer,

Thanks for the kind comments about the support you have received.  Please let us know how the exchange works out and if you need anything else at all please don't hesitate to contact us.

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Our Latest Posts