Feedback Thread Firmware M0CR040 for the MX300

JEDEC Jedi

Re: Feedback Thread Firmware M0CR040 for the MX300

You can use other software for monitoring drive status, I like CrystalDiskInfo. Storage Executive tool works on all my systems so I am not sure what to recommend and why it is not working for you. It may be a system/java related bug. I would also look into what SATA port the drive is connected to (Intel, Marvell, ASMedia) or what AHCI driver is in use, but I would probably bet on the software bug.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid

How can I manually update the firmware?  Where can I download the firmware file?

Thanks.

Bit Baby

Hi,

I am owner of MX300 in macbook pro and was looking at the firmware upgrade, now i can not find Storage Executive for macOS Sierra, so i guess for now only manual upgrade is possible?

Checking the manual upgrade document i can not find any info how to make usb upgrade stick from your iso on macOS, pendrive linux is only for Windows?

Could you please provide a step by step verified plan how to do this on macOS?

I think more people would like to know this who only have access to mac.

Thanks

Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]

To install on Mac: insert a CD or DVD and use "disk utility" to "burn" the .iso file onto the DVD / CD drive. On startup you press the option key to be able to boot from the drive. The SSD needs to be inside the Mac (no external drive).

Then the iso will install the firmware upgrade. I just did it on my MacBook Pro (using a DVD I burned the .iso upon with disk utility and it worked fine).

USB sticks seem not to work on Mac, though I am not sure why not, as I can boot from USB with all my macs.

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/SSD-firmware-update-on-a-Mac/ta-p/111844

Here is the discussion where the mod says USB sticks do not work to upgrade. I would suggest you get an external DVD drive. You can order one and sent it back within 14 days and get your money back for example. Or if you have a hardware / apple store near you, go there and ask them if you can burn a CD for the firmware update. Here is a drive that costs about 25$ and works with Mac: http://amzn.to/2fW1MCx

Bit Baby

Have you noticed slower read/write speeds after upgrading to this firmware on your mac?  I am running the latest version of os x el capitan on a late 2009 mac mini.  Before the upgrade my read write speeds were much higher.  I can also see a slight difference in boot up times.  Before the upgrade, my mac mini booted up in 22 seconds and now it takes approximately 32 seconds.

Bit Baby

Have you experienced slower read/write speeds after upgrading to this firmware on your mac?  I upgraded to this latest firmware on my late 2009 mac mini and have noticed slower read/write speeds.  I can also see a slight difference in performance as well.  My mac mini used to take 22 seconds to boot up before I upgraded the firmware and now its taking approximately 32 seconds to boot up.

Bit Baby

Is there any way to downgrade back to the previous firmware?  After upgrading to this firmware on my late 2009 mac mini, I am seeing a significant peformance degredation.  My read/write speeds are slower and bootup time has increased by approximately 10 seconds.

JEDEC Jedi

This is the only user firmware update for the drive.  Prior versions were pre-flashed at the factory.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]

For me using a MX300 275 GB on an external USB 3.0 drive in conjunction with a 2013 iMac (running Mavericks 10.9.5) the firmware fixed frequent freezes and I do not experience any noticable difference in speed to before the update. 

Kilobyte Kid

mx300 stats

can anyone tell me why my stats are so poor? momentum cache on, 

Over-Provisioning is on %10...