Feedback Thread Firmware M0CR040 for the MX300

JEDEC Jedi

Re: Feedback Thread Firmware M0CR040 for the MX300

algebram wrote:

can anyone tell me why my stats are so poor? momentum cache on, 

What precisely are you querying as being poor?  The results don't look cached if that's what you're questioning?  It's been a long time since I used software caching but you would probably need to run the benchmark multiple times for the test file to be cached.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

Yeah, it doesn't seem like Momentum Cache is enabled.

The results are okay but it is possible they could be improved by installing proper chipset/AHCI driver. It looks like you are using generic storahci driver at the moment.

Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid

thanks for your reply. could you explain what is "proper chipset/AHCI driver." i am using lenovo y7070 and all of my drivers up to date. 

JEDEC Jedi

Your AS SSD Benchmark shows storahci that most likely stands for the AHCI driver built-in into Windows. It is one-for-all driver, not necessarily best-for-all. Check Lenovo drivers download site and serach for Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) Driver.

Binary Boss

So far everything is good here. I used the Burn to CD ISO method and it updated without a problem. We also had to install the latest supported Intel RST to prevent freezes ans for the past 4 1/2 hours. It's good so far Smiley Happy

Binary Boss

WHat worked for me for Dell Precision T5500):

1. update MX300 to latest firmware

2. Install Intel RST driver version 11.7.4.1001 under IDE/ATAPI controller. Chose have disk and choose file iaAAHCIC.inf.

3. Install chipset driver INF_Win8.1_9.4.4.1006 (May help, but i think most entires statyed on default WIndows 10 recommended driver version.

4. Set Power options to high performance.

5. Turn off (was already off) Link power management under PCI-Express located in Power Options.

6. Turn off Windows 10 Fastboot feature.

So far no freezes and the AS SSD test show normal speeds under the SATA 3Gbps bandwidth levels.

Kilobyte Kid

actually it is installed and up to date (14.5.2.1088) but same Smiley Sad((

Binary Boss

[ Edited ]

Do you happen to know what chipset series your motherboard consist of? for example, my computer has the intel 8 series / C220 Chipset.

You may also knwo your dev ID by going to IDE/ATAPI, go to propities of what's under than. Details then hardware ID. It won't show the series, but it will show what the DEV numbers.

Sometimes you can also find this by expanding USB serial bus controllers and it may be listed there too.

I did find version:14.8.0.1042 on intel's site. I am unsure if your chipset fits this.

I also found version 15.2.0.1020 again, depends on your response whether your AHCI controller would accept this version.

Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]

I just installed the 524 GB MX300 in my mid 2012 Macbook Pro.  Smiley Very Happy

I have a Dell PC where I downloaded the Executive software on. I just used that software to upgrade the firmware using the Live option. Saved me from playing with ISO firmware images. So Mac users can use Executive if they have access to a Windows PC.

It sucessfully upgraded to M0CR040 and did not hurt the cloned OSX 10.11.6 data. Update the Firmware was all I did. I did not want to jinx anything playing with the other functions.

I learned to go into System Preferences and designate my new SSD as the boot and restart. Otherwise, even if it is the only drive on my system, there's a delay of 30 seconds while the MBP tries to figure it out. Now it's instant.

Getting that MX300 was a deal. Installed as easy as a light bulb.

Nice to see Photoshop CC 2017 boot up in 10-15 sseconds.

Gene

JEDEC Jedi

algebram, I believe that your speeds are within an acceptable range. You don't have to worry too much about them, they can be normal for your notebook. Since the driver looks good I would look into some power management options. You can try to set windows power plan to 'High performance'. Check Lenovo Energy Managment app (if you use it) for power plan and HDD power saver options.

You can also use CrystalDiskInfo and check the status of advanced power management - Function > Advanced Feature > AAM/APM control. I believe that typically it should display 'FEh' which means it is set to max performance.