Feedback Thread Firmware M0CR040 for the MX300

JEDEC Jedi

Re: Feedback Thread Firmware M0CR040 for the MX300

ExternalStorage wrote:

Hi, I am having the freezing issue with the 2TB Crucial MX300 my chipset is  Intel® HM77 Chipset and I explain the issue in more detail in my post: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/Issue-with-SSD-freezing/m-p/177330

Essentially I have tried everything except for installing the intel RST because I am not sure of which version is right for me and all the ones I downloaded are incompatible saying " this platform is not supported". The new firmware update did not fix my issue at all. 

ExternalStorage, your link leads to 'Message Not Found' page. I believe that 13.1.0.1058, 12.9.0.1001 or 12.8.0.1016 should work on your system.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Binary Boss

[ Edited ]

Hi, thanks for the help. THe link http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/Issue-with-SSD-freezing/m-p/177330 seems to be working now (not sure what happened) I downloaded  12.9.0.1001 (The 13th version was not compatible) and installed it on my system. i restarted and tried my SSD once again. It still froze after 10 minutes. If you need any information from me I am willing to provide all the information I can.

Like I put in my original post I have tested the drive and is healthy but this seems to be a firmware or windows compatibility issue.

I explain about my provlem in more detail in my post (but its essentially the same freezing problem that a lot of people in the forum have discussed). I don't want to repeat the same stuff here. 

Memory Leak Geek

My question as well.

I have a 750gb model running happily in an early 2011 MacBook Pro with firmware M0CR011.

Do I need this upgrade or not??

There's been nothing on the forum re this firmware since mid Nov 2016 and I'm concerned that by upgrading unnecessarily I may be opening myself up to other problems, specifically performance degadation that alot of this post seems to imply will happen.

Can anyone from Crucial pass some sort of 'official' comment on:

a)  The ultimate necessity of the upgrade within a Mac (macOS 10.12.x) scenerio.

b)  Performance implications.

Thanks

Radar

Community Manager

Hi Radar68,

If you haven't been experiencing any issues with your system or SSD I don't think it would be necessary for you to upgrade this firmware yet. This firmware is to help if you were experiencing any of the issues mentioned above. The average user will not need it.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Memory Leak Geek

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I'm not entirely sure how I or anyone else would know if they were getting any of the issues especially as the last 2 are fairly woolly to say the least:

*   Improved drive error handling
*   General stability improvements

I have no idea how errors (if any) are being handled or if that needs improving.  Neither do I know if my stability is currently affected and will be improved.

I feel that Crucial should either be issuing this only via a support request where they deam it necessary for a particular user or they should be issuing a blanket, 'recommended for all users' statement which is generally what happens with other firmware upgrades from other manufacturers if approriate.

Its worrying for me (with a depth of IT knowledge from 2+ decades of work experience) to see such statements, so I shudder to think what the 'average user' will make of it.  Surely improved error handling and stability should be at the heart of Crucials products?  ergo: this update is required by all users.  

I for one am trusting my data to a Crucial product that I hope will provide me with as good a performance as is possible.  Issuing generally available firmware updates with little or no advice on whether to apply them or not seems a little irresponsible.

At present I'm caught between 'if it aint broke dont fix it' and 'I want the best possible performance and relaibility from my system'.  My worry is that I'll upgrade and something will either break or affect the data already on the drive and I won't notice until its too late to do anything about it with a backup.

Regards

Radar

JEDEC Jedi

Backup is mandatory for anyone who cares about his data Smiley Happy

In the past Crucial were marking firmware updates as either 'recommended' or 'optional'. I am not sure why they have abandoned this idea Smiley Indifferent

backup day.jpg

Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid

Last week M0CR040 was showing up in Crucial Storage Executive and I updated several drives to it - this week it is showing me drives that came with M0CR031 have the "Latest Firmware Installed" with no option to update to 040.

is this a glitch?

was the 040 firmware pulled after being released over 2 months ago?

some info would be nice.

JEDEC Jedi

BrianCMHR wrote:

is this a glitch?

was the 040 firmware pulled after being released over 2 months ago?

some info would be nice.

Still available manually: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/support-ssd-firmware

So glitch I guess?  You using the same version of Storage Exec in each case?

We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

whatever the issue was earlier, the M0CR040 firmware update is back now.  Have just finished updating 3 more drives to the 040 firmware late this afternoon (it wasn't working as recently as this morning)

-- replying to the response after my initial post

I've had the same windows 10 computer setup to do firmware updates on 40 MX300's as well as some other formating tasks.

I did the firmware update on about 6 drives late last week. (was otherwise busy monday, so don't know about that day, all of Tuesday, and half of Wednesday it wasn't working for me)

Was about to create a manual updater when the Crucial Storage Executive started working again.  

Bit Baby

Thank you. Upon upgrade my unit is working like a champ now!