Feedback Thread Firmware M3CR022 for the MX500

Highlighted
Community Manager

Feedback Thread Firmware M3CR022 for the MX500

Firmware revision M3CR022 for the MX500 (all form factors) is now available. These firmware updates apply to the respective models, and should not be applied to any other Crucial SSD model. Currently, these firmware updates are available through the Crucial Storage Executive and through a manual boot file found here:

http://www.crucial.com/support/firmware.aspx

Release Date: 06/19/2018

The update from M3CR010 to M3CR022 is an optional update for SSDs in the field, but is recommended if the MX500 is experiencing any of the following issues:

• Improved ready time from DEVSLP low-power state.
  • Improved TRIM and Wear Leveling performance.
  • Improved SATA error handing.
  • Improved compatibility with some TCG Opal 2.0 third-party encryption utilities (this change does not affect MS BitLocker).

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
25 Replies
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Feedback Thread Firmware M3CR022 for the MX500

hi!

I'm trying to upgrade my MX500 to new firmware (on Linux) but the .iso file seems not valid: everytime I write it (dd or graphic tool) I can't boot from pendrive (tried more pendrives). How can I procede?

Thanks

Kilobyte Kid

When I tried to update the firmware through CSE I just got this weird error:

IMG_3244.JPG

"Invalid firmware directory specified with -i option, /tmp/... firmware does not exist!".

Ok so then I tried to create a bootable USB stick with that image using rufus and then I was not able to boot that pendrive.

JEDEC Jedi

@latrino,   In order to "dd" Crucial firmware .iso file you need to run "isohybrid" on it.  By default Crucial's files are created only for burning CDs.  Running  isohybrid on it allows it to be "burned" to a USB flash drive or hard drive for Legacy MBR booting.   isohybrid is part of the syslinux-tools package on Debian based distros.

If you need to boot from a UEFI only system, then you need to manually copy the contents of the .iso file to a FAT formatted USB drive and install GRUB2 to it and create a grub.cfg file with the kernel boot parameters found in the /boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg file.   You can follow my instructions from this post and delete the "rssd-model=MX200" option from the grub.cfg I listed in that post.

I was using Debian 9 "Stretch" to make a bootable MX200 updater.   If your Linux distro has trouble installing GRUB2 to the USB drive then follow these instructions:

Spoiler

Install "schroot" and use "debootstrap" to install Debian 9 Stretch (add "sudo" as an extra package to install to make life easier).   Debootstrap is a script provided by Debian which can run on any Linux system IIRC.   The schroot creates a private Linux install that can still access your home folder.   Most things you do in the schroot will only affect this new environment although there are always exceptions so when finished make sure to exit it.

In the schroot, install "grub-efi".    Mount your USB drive in the schroot and run the grub-install command I provided and modify the grub.cfg as noted above.  Afterwards unmount the USB drive from both the schroot AND from your main system. 

Binary Boss

Fixes the libata error messages during the boot sequence with Linux Smiley Very Happy

I tried posting as much to the thread I opened about the issue but for some reason it's already read-only and archived. this was either done by a moderator or your forum settings do this way too soon automatically. either way, it wasn't dormant because the issue was solved, I was waiting at the request of crucial support before I posted anything further in the forums about the new firmware until I could say whether or not it fixed the issue.

Crucial Employee

@antikashey glad to hear the update fixed the issue. I looked into your post and it appears it was archived by accident. We have a bot that goes through looking for older posts to automatically archive, yours for some odd reason was targeted. I went ahead and got the post relisted so you should be fine to comment in it again Smiley Happy

Crucial_Benny, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Binary Boss

@crucial_benny you tagged the wrong user but thanks and done Smiley Wink

Kilobyte Kid

Hi,

I am having trouble applying this firmware.

My machine is a Samsung N110, with a recently installed MX500. It is a 32-bit, Intel Atom processor, Windows 7 home. Current firmware is M3CR020. Storage Exec is version 3.55.032018.04.

• From Storage Exec, a live update gives the error "Firmware Update on Drive0 failed with status 12"
  • When I deselect Live Update, the machine reboots and I get a message from the boot loader saying it expects x86-64 but has found 686 and is unable to boot.
  • I download the firware and this way I get the message "Uploaded file does not appear to be a valid firmware update package."

Thanks in advance,

Kilobyte Kid

I have issues trying to install this firmware on my new MX500 2TB SSD because Storage Executive doesn't work, there is a search error. No firmware detected and when I try to install MX500_M3CR022 manually it says "it appears no valid firmware was selected". Storage Executive doesn't find MU03 for my MX100 either. Is this a software of firmware bug? Here a screenshot https://abload.de/img/ssd43beb.jpg

i7-7700k

GTX 1080

Asus Z170-A

Windows 10 x64

1x512GB MX100 MU02

1x2TB MX500 M3CR010

JEDEC Jedi

The SSD you are updating needs to be installed on an internal SATA controller set to AHCI mode (eSATA also works).

@LamptonWorm,   The second error with the manual update sounds either like a corrupted download or a media error with a CD or USB drive.   Try it with another USB drive (a hard drive can also work if you have an adapter or drive dock).   I find  some USB flash drives tend to corrupt data and also cause other odd issues with certain systems.

@mikk,  I would try removing the one of the SSDs while attempting to manually update the firmware on the other one.