Feedback Thread Firmware M3CR022 for the MX500

Highlighted
Bit Baby

Re: Feedback Thread Firmware M3CR022 for the MX500

@HWTech wrote:

@Gussie,  If your BIOS/UEFI settings have an option for Legacy (CSM) booting you could enable it temporarily to boot from your CD/USB drive.   If you are using the system's TPM & Bitlocker, make sure you have your recovery key just in case as changing this setting could possibly break Windows (it shouldn't but it is best to be safe).    Also check if there is a SATA setting for AHCI mode as this is required for the firmware update.    Make sure to put all BIOS/UEFI settings back the way you found them before booting back into Windows.   As with any firmware update it is always a good idea to make sure your critical data is backed up & is accessible.

I did post a way to create a bootable UEFI updater in the MX100/200 thread, but it requires knowledge & the use of a Linux OS to make it.   I believe there may have been another post linking to a third party site with similiar instructions.   I was working on trying to make the instructions useful  to the wider public who may not have Linux, but I ran into an issue and got busy (I'm just a normal user like you).

Thanks for your reply but there is nothing "legacy" about these new breed of laptops

Crucial should be providing a solution that is user friendly and that does not require spare M2 to SATA interfaces. I'll be contacting Crucial support to see what they say.

Bit Baby

@bogdan : Yep, I tried with both TGC security enabled & disabled. In both cases I had to use the PSID with 32-zeros ( and now my MSID is 32-zeros too, as stated using "sedutil --printDefaultPassword" ).

Now I can only PSID-erase the unit using 32 zeros. The PSID number on the sticker is no longer valid, not sure why.

JEDEC Jedi

I don't know... I think you should get in touch with Crucial Customer Service, you can do it via the link in my signature.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Bit Baby

@HWTech wrote:

@Gussie,  If your BIOS/UEFI settings have an option for Legacy (CSM) booting you could enable it temporarily to boot from your CD/USB drive.   If you are using the system's TPM & Bitlocker, make sure you have your recovery key just in case as changing this setting could possibly break Windows (it shouldn't but it is best to be safe).    Also check if there is a SATA setting for AHCI mode as this is required for the firmware update.    Make sure to put all BIOS/UEFI settings back the way you found them before booting back into Windows.   As with any firmware update it is always a good idea to make sure your critical data is backed up & is accessible.

I did post a way to create a bootable UEFI updater in the MX100/200 thread, but it requires knowledge & the use of a Linux OS to make it.   I believe there may have been another post linking to a third party site with similiar instructions.   I was working on trying to make the instructions useful  to the wider public who may not have Linux, but I ran into an issue and got busy (I'm just a normal user like you).

Spoke to Crucial Support.

They told me the MX500 M2 is incompatible with the Acer SF114-32, as per their checking tool !

But it does work I installed Windows 10 Pro on it and it runs fine - I just cannot upgrade the firmware.

They told me the Crucial Storage Executive Error 12 means there is a compatibility error ?

They offered me an RMA for them to upgrade the firmware - I do not want to do that.

I will order a cheap  M2 to SATA adapter and use one of my other system to do the upgrade.

I wonder why their checking tool thinks that the ACER SWIFT 1 SF114-32 cannot handle ANY Crucial M2 SSDs ?

The laptop originally came with an Acer fitted SK Hynix 128GB M.2 SSD HFS128G3TND-N210A, all I did was replace it with a Crucial 500GB MX500 M2.

Kilobyte Kid

@targetbsp, @HWTech

Thanks for trying to help. I may need to contact Customer Care, I certainly don't want to put the drive in another machine each time there is a firmware update, but it's a good thought as a last resort Smiley Happy I read that the N10 had some hidden BIOS setting for the drive settings, but I think Intel disabled it on the N110.

btw, here is the error when with installing from the manager or booting the update from USB -Crucial boot error.png

Cheers,

LW.

mev
Bit Baby

@baylander827 wrote:

I've found some problems with the M3CR022 firmware:

2. I cleaned the unit using sedutil --yesIreallywanttoeraallmydatausingthePSID [psid on the disk label] ok.... but, after that, a "sedutil --printDefaultPassword" reports the MSID as 32-zeros ( 00000000000000000000000000000000 ) and I no longer can erase the unit using the PSID which appears on the disk label. I must use 32 zeros instead.

Can confirm - precisely the same thing has also happened to my 2TB MX500 today. It's clearly a firmware bug, but I have no idea whether it's new in M3CR022 or was present in M3CR020 too.

Crucial: Can you look into fixing this, please, and also provide a way to revert the PSID to its original value (i.e. as printed on the unit label)?