Feedback Thread: Firmware MU02 for MX100

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Feedback Thread: Firmware MU02 for MX100

[ Edited ]

Wibin wrote:

Yeah, I now got the crashing bug as well after 6 months of zero crashes. System simply halts and after that the ssd is no longer detected. A power off is required. I have Windows 8.1 and a desktop H87 chipset.

I did only a couple of changes, and turning on/off aggressive lpm support had no effect. I'm unsure if Windows is able to able to override this. Thus the only two things that has had an effect is me upgrading the firmware to the latest version and installing other hard drives which are connected to sata but not are not powered (archive hdds).

I'm guessing the firmware update definititely has an effect, but what are the main causes / incompatibilities? Possibly a cable / signal problem. I've had these before where you get DMA CRC errors which go away after changing a sata cable. But most likely it is the power saving incompatibilites.

I've now turned on raid hotswap function on (just having it as raid vs. ahci did not help) and I turned Link power management off from the Intel RST drivers. If you won't hear from me, this may indeed be a fix. Smiley Wink

Just a quick update, my computer appears to be rock stable again. So either turning raid hotswap ON or turning of link powr management OFF specifically from the Intel RST drivers (bios settings had no effect) will fix the issue.

And here's for the questionaire:

- What specific issues are you having?

* SSD disconnects randomly, more likely if computer is left idle. Requires full power cycle to see the SSD in bios again.
- Tell us of any troubleshooting steps you have attempted prior to contacting us:
- When did the problems first occur?

* A few months ago after modifying bios settings AND updating the firmware.
- The exact system or motherboard model the SSD is used in:

* Asus H87M-pro
- Have you tried it in another system?

* No, but my mum's computer may have the same exact issue, although on M500, with apparently the same fix (Intel RST LPM off, but always using AHCI)
- Operating system:

* Windows 8.1 pro
- Have you tried different SATA cables and ports on the motherboard, or connected it via USB? (Desktop users only)

* Haven't got that far. LPM setting appears to have fixed it
- What BIOS SATA mode are you using (IDE/ AHCI/ RAID)?

* I had issues with both ahci and raid (non-hotswap). Turning hot swap on may have fixed the problem or then turning LPM  OFF in Intel RST. Both likely have an effect on power management profile.

EDIT: Entirely possible that in both cases the problems started when I installed Intel RST drivers (as opposed to the intel ahci chipset drivers). I assume this is because RST better supports power management settings. My RST version is 12.9.0.1001, which is suggested by Intel support as the most stable for Haswell gen chipset (later ones have caused issues).

EDIT EDIT: now, a month from the change I have had zero problems. It's likely thus to do with Intel driver settings, which may or may not override BIOS settings which had no effect. 

Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]

After trying to make the ISO boot image work and a variety of USB EFI approaches on my Mac Pro 2,1, I finally got my MX100 to update today as follows:

1. Using Disk Utility, I partitioned the USB thumb drive into one MS-DOS (FAT) partition with Master Boot Record as the partitioning scheme. I named the partition 'MX100_MU02'.

2. I downloaded the latest stable release of GParted at http://sourceforge.net/projects/gparted/files/gparted-live-stable/. This contains both 32-bit and 64-bit EFI boot files.

3. I copied the "EFI" folder from the GParted ISO to "MX100_MU02".

4. I copied the "boot" and "cde" folders from "MX100_MU02_BOOTABLE_ALL_CAP.iso" to the root directory of "MX100_MU02". This is the ISO image Crucial provides to Mac and Windows users to burn a boot CD or DVD that is supposed to update the MX100 firmware to MU02. It would boot for me, but would almost immediately issue a reboot message without updating the firmware.

5. I used a text editor such as nano or pico to modify "grub.cfg" in /Volumes/MX100_MU02/EFI/boot to add the following:

menuentry "Micron Storage Director MX100 FW update" {
search --set -f /boot/vmlinuz
linux /boot/vmlinuz ro quiet base loglevel=3 waitusb=10 superuser rssd-fw-update rssd-fwdir=/opt/firmware rssd-model=MX100
initrd /boot/core.gz
}

6. I rebooted my Mac Pro 2,1 holding down the option key after the POST chime and selected the EFI boot option. From there, you will see the "Micron Storage Director MX100 FW update" option. In just a few seconds, it found the MX100 and updated it.

I just got home and upated the MX100 that I have in my Mac Pro 5,1 with the same USB thumb drive. So, I can confirm that it works with 32-bit and 64-bit systems. Perhaps this same workflow works for UEFI Windows users…

Full disclosure: I lifted 99.9% of this from Alex486's advice in the M550 MU02 firmware update thread.

Dual Channel Surfer

[ Edited ]

casmock wrote:

After trying to make the ISO boot image work and a variety of USB EFI approaches on my Mac Pro 2,1, I finally got my MX100 to update today as follows:

1. Using Disk Utility, I partitioned the USB thumb drive into one MS-DOS (FAT) partition with Master Boot Record as the partitioning scheme. I named the partition 'MX100_MU02'.

2. I downloaded the latest stable release of GParted at http://sourceforge.net/projects/gparted/files/gparted-live-stable/. This contains both 32-bit and 64-bit EFI boot files.

3. I copied the "EFI" folder from the GParted ISO to "MX100_MU02".

4. I copied the "boot" and "cde" folders from "MX100_MU02_BOOTABLE_ALL_CAP.iso" to the root directory of "MX100_MU02". This is the ISO image Crucial provides to Mac and Windows users to burn a boot CD or DVD that is supposed to update the MX100 firmware to MU02. It would boot for me, but would almost immediately issue a reboot message without updating the firmware.

5. I used a text editor such as nano or pico to modify "grub.cfg" in /Volumes/MX100_MU02/EFI/boot to add the following:

menuentry "Micron Storage Director MX100 FW update" {
search --set -f /boot/vmlinuz
linux /boot/vmlinuz ro quiet base loglevel=3 waitusb=10 superuser rssd-fw-update rssd-fwdir=/opt/firmware rssd-model=MX100
initrd /boot/core.gz
}

6. I rebooted my Mac Pro 2,1 holding down the option key after the POST chime and selected the EFI boot option. From there, you will see the "Micron Storage Director MX100 FW update" option. In just a few seconds, it found the MX100 and updated it.

I just got home and upated the MX100 that I have in my Mac Pro 5,1 with the same USB thumb drive. So, I can confirm that it works with 32-bit and 64-bit systems. Perhaps this same workflow works for UEFI Windows users…

Full disclosure: I lifted 99.9% of this from Alex486's advice in the M550 MU02 firmware update thread.

I'm glad it was useful to you. I've added some more info in these links for M550, MX100 and BX100.

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/EFI-UEFI-Booting-the-Crucial-Micron-M550-firmware-update/m-...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1844323

To answer the question about windows users, I've used the same method to update an MX100 that was connected to the SATA-III port of a Gigabyte Z77-D3H UEFI motherboard. Perhaps there could be problems with some UEFI motherboards where "Secure Boot" is enabled.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824987.aspx

Kilobyte Kid

Hy,

Im new at the forums, i just suscribe to see if anyone could help me with a error im getting when trying to update the firmware of my MX100 256GB Disk, im trying to update from MU01 to MU02. Im trying to update through Micron Storage Executive 64 bits. When rebooting i get the following error:

Failed to read firmware model from properties file /tmp/mse_firmware/firmware.properties.

Your system will now return to normal operation following a reboot.

When i tried to update through the bootable ISO, got a another error that made my SSD Disk to not be recognized by the computer and send an OS not found Error for about 10 minutes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kilobyte Kid

I wanted to report back that since I updated my MX100 drives in my PC and Laptop to MU02 I haven't had any issues with receiving BSODs and the drive dropping from the system.

Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]

Welp. Been trying to upgrade to MU02 for a while now, haven't had any success (with Storage Executive anyway). Every time my system reboots after clicking on 'Update Firmware now' I get this on my screen:

Try (hd0,0): NTFS5: No grldr

Try (hd0,1): NTFS5:

Any ideas?

Specs:

Asus P8Z77-M Pro (UEFI with Secure Boot disabled)

Crucial MX100 256GB (System drive)

WD Blue 1TB

*SATA in AHCI mode

Kilobyte Kid

Just bought a Mx100 512 ssd on Apr 28 2015 and notice a couple times a day freezing and problems

waking the computer. So after hours of trouble shooting I came on this site and noticed this thread !

Sounds like some of the problems I'm having , so today made a cd disk with the Mu02 version on it,

loaded it up a few hours ago and so far so good, but will have to monitor for a few days.

I hope they can fix this problem with software upgrades...

- What specific issues are you having?

Freezing , wake up problems , even with ssd on never sleep mode.

- Tell us of any troubleshooting steps you have attempted prior to contacting us:

tried turning off sleep mode for ssd, make sure trim enabled, reduce page file, disable hybernation

- When did the problems first occur?

May 2, 2015 , after I had time to observer

- The exact system or motherboard model the SSD is used in:

gigabyte ga z97m-d3h

- Have you tried it in another system?

no

- Operating system:

win 7 sp 1

- Have you tried different SATA cables and ports on the motherboard, or connected it via USB? (Desktop users only)

no, computer is brand new , had built on apr 28

- What BIOS SATA mode are you using (IDE/ AHCI/ RAID)?

ahci

Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

just to update info , installed fireware mu02 and haven't had any lockups or crashes or shutdown problems...

hope it stays that way ....

Bit Baby

I purchased my SSD in December 2014 with the first firmware and I began having the BSOD and unrecognizable drive issues others had described after a couple weeks of using Win7 ultimate (intel RST drivers online, tweaks made to accomodate wasted write operations windows would do). The storage executive updater utility would not update it for me so I tried USB 3.0 bootable, didn't work, only burning a CD-R and booting it worked.

I am glad that Crucial is supporting these great, affordable drives long after release.

Bit Baby

MX100sats.png