Feedback Thread: Firmware MU02 for MX100

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Feedback Thread: Firmware MU02 for MX100

"For me the system will start to lag and then freeze. Shortly after that, it will BSOD and begin to reboot. During the reboot, if I access my BIOS, the boot drive (MX100) will not be detected. I power it down, remove the SATA cable. Plug it back in, turn it on, access BIOS to reset the boot order and back into business."

Yep, this is EXACTLY what happens on both of mine.

I tried moving them to my Supermicro server board to see if they worked better there but I get the same problem.

These drives are garbage.

Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]

I for the life of me cannot update the firmware of my MX100. I've tried Storage Executive, which won't run, as well as manually updating it using a USB stick and RUFUS, Universal USB installer and unitbootin. None of them work, I choose to boot from the USB in BIOS but it never does, just goes straight to windows.

I'm on an Asus UX32LN, my SSD is MX100 512gb. Really frustrating.

EDIT: Nvm, I got it. I enabled "Launch CSM" in the BIOS and disabled secure boot, restarted and went into the BIOS again. Choose USB (NOT UEFI USB!) as boot device 1 and restarted again. It booted from USB, and updated the firmware automatically. Then it restarted, I went into BIOS again and disabled "Launch CSM", choose the MX100 as first boot device again and enabled secure boot. Restarted a final time and now it works! Firmware is MU02. I just got my MX100 512gb and haven't had a problem with it, but I thought I might as well update the firmware.

Oh, and I used universial USB installer to create the bootable USB pen, as described in the crucial PDF instructions.

Kilobyte Kid

The download server for the firmware update is very slow. Smiley Sad

Bit Baby

It appears to have helped with a freezing problem I have had with a MX100 ( CT512MX100SSD1 ) where drive would just lock up for about a minute the go back to normal. Lately it had gotten worse. Since the update yesterday no freeze-ups.

Kilobyte Kid

Hi,

I have just updated my MX100 512GB SSD to MU02 and the problems I was having prior to this (System Freezing) still persist.

Prior to updating the firmware I had tried the MX100 on three different systems (an Acer Laptop and 2 AMD PC Powered Motherboards).

The MX100 causes the system to freeze if there is a NEW Win 8.1 installation OR a migration of the existing system UsingEaseUs Partition Manager Pro.

In all cases the solution has been to replace the MX100 with other manufacturer's SSDs. Working SSDs have been Samsung 830, Samsung 840 Evo, Samsung 850 Evo and Corsair Performance Pro.

Bye the way I have another system with a Crucial MX100 512Gb which has been working fine without missing a beat. It's just this latest one which is Just Useless, with or without MU02.

Kilobyte Kid

... so may peaople looking for a solution to their MX100 problems?

Kilobyte Kid

Can we have a response from Crucial please? These are not isolated incidences and there is clearly a serious problem with these drives. I suggest eveyone here starts posting negative reviews on Amazon, or where they bought them, in order to get some sort of response from Crucial. At least Samsung acknowleges problems (840 EVO) and works to resolve them. Crucial has said nothing about this and I get the impression they're trying to sweep this under the carpet.

Crucial mods? Anyone?

Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]

I sent mine in to Crucial and the replacement has been solid for 5 days now.  I upgraded to MU02 first thing but I believe it was just a bad drive and nothing to do with the firmware.  I had the random reboots then disappearing thing.  I had installed an MX100512 in my daughter's laptop around a month before I got mine and she hasn't had any issues at all even with MU01. 

Crucial support was super nice and sent me an RMA right away when I told them what problems I was having and the things I had already tried to resolve it.  So my recommendation is to contact support and get another one, you probably just have a bad drive.  They have a 3 year warranty.

Disclaimer:  if the replacement starts acting up I may change my opinion.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4/2/15 Update: the replacement MX100512 updated to MU02 is doing the same thing as the original.  Don't waste your time getting a replacement unless it's a refund.  I've bought a lot of memory from Crucial without problems but after this experience I think I'm done.

SODIMM Sherpa

[ Edited ]

Kilobyte Kid

I have two drives and I think it would be unlikely that they have both been afflicted by hardware failure.

This is most definitely a firmware problem, specifically to do with power management.

I have been very patient up until now, but am growing less so due to Crucial having released a firmware update which not only doesn't fix the issue on the MX100, but reading through the forums, seems to be present on the M500 and M550 drives also.

I very much doubt your replacement drive will act any differently over time.