Feedback Thread: Firmware MU02 for MX100

SOLVED
Binary Boss

Re: Feedback Thread: Firmware MU02 for MX100

Did the update on my MX100 512 and it went flawlessly using Storage Excutive. Only thing the drive is being used for is games.

Kilobyte Kid

Any advice on how to proceed with install of this firmware update on a MacBook Pro (mid-2010, OS X  10.10.3) without CD/DVD drive ?  
I tried making a bootable USB key from the .iso image, but it won't boot. Apparently there is a general issue with bootable Linux USB keys on Macs.

Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]

Installed the updated MX100 firmware yesterday from bootable CD.

No apparent problems with the update process, tool detected that I was on MU01 and installed MU02.

Well, no problems beside these strange readings in Device-Manager:

device.png

Is this to be expected?

Kilobyte Kid

OK, reply to myself. I bit the bullet and made the CD. Booted with that and the upgrade process started.
After three lines of dots, the process ended in "Failure .." and "status 13", and almost immediately rebooted.

What now?

Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]

Hello.

I had freezings with 256GB drive, but not so often as other users in forum (1 freeze every 3-4 days). I uninstalled acronis and android emulator (wich in my opinion was the culprit) and drive ran fine for the last 14 days.

Anyway, I was not 100% convinced and decided tu update to MU02. I've done it via Storage Executive flawlessly and in less than a minute, no probs.

Running fine now, will report any suspicious activity Smiley Very Happy

Kilobyte Kid

I have been waiting for this firmware update to appear on the Storage Executive as I'm fearful that I'm not savvy enough to install the update manually. I have attempted the update several times without success, but I notice here that others have had success with it from the Storage Executive. What am I doing wrong?

I have a Dell XPS 8700, running Windows 8.1. The MX100 256GB is installed as my C:drive. This is the MX100 I received after WMA'ing my first one which kept "disappearing." This one has also disappeared a couple of times. I'd like to get the new firmware installed to see if that solves the problem before abandoning the drive for another manufacturer.

When I hit the update button on the Storage Executive, I get a message that it is restarting to reboot into the Micron optical image. The XPS restarts, I get the Dell whirling flashscreen, then the image waiting for me to log into my Windows account. I have waited up to 30 minutes waiting to log into my account, but no update occurs as when I start Storage Executive again, it tells me my current firmware is MU01 and that MU02 is available. It seems as if my PC is simply rebooting as usual when it is restarted by Storage Executive.

Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]

It seems Micro Imaging is failing at some point just before flashing for some people....I am sorry not to be more helpful, but I would suggest doing it "manually", it is not that difficult. You only need the file provided, make an USB bootable, and tell BIOS to boot from USB devices.

Follow the instructions at:

http://www.crucial.com/wcsstore/CrucialSAS/firmware/MX100/MU02/crucial-firmware-update-instructions-...

Bit Baby

[ Edited ]
New owner of 256gb MX100, never had ssd before. Wow it is fastSmiley Happy

Flashed firmware update on my 2014 Mac mini Yosemite 10.10.2 using USB Stick with pc help.

On windows pc,
formated usb to fat32
Then used steps from instructions:

Option 2: Create a bootable USB drive
1. Start with an empty and newly formatted USB drive.
2. Open a USB installer program. If you do not have a USB installer program, you may
install a USB installer program such as the Universal USB Installer available for free at
www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/.
3. Using the Universal USB Installer:
o In the Step 1 drop-down list, select Try Unlisted Linux ISO
o Find the firmware ISO previously downloaded
o Create the bootable USB with the Format drive option selected

When done pluged it into my mac
Restarted with holding Alt (wireless logitech keyboard didn't worked, had to find wired) for boot from option to appear befor os loads.
Chose booting from Windows option.
And all done successfully.
Kilobyte Kid

Thanks. After reading your reply, I began preparing to do the update manually. However, I stopped when I became intimidated by having to make some changes in my BIOS. Apparently, it is set for UEFI with secure boot, and I'd have to change it to legacy and then back. I may gather the courage to do that later, but I'm not up to it right now.

I am guessing that is also the reason that the process using Storage Executive is being interrupted and short-circuited.

I can not express how disappointed I am with Crucial making this such an aggravating experience. I have wasted numerous hours dealing with this buggy drive and am not a happy and satisfied customer.

Kilobyte Kid

I found this one in another forum thread

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/Feedback-Thread-Firmware-MU02-for-M550/m-p/163787#M46410

Tomorrow I will try to see if it can work for MX100