Feedback Thread: Firmware MU02 for MX100

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Feedback Thread: Firmware MU02 for MX100

Thanks to psuturtle of Lenovo who responded to my post on the Lenovo forum I was able to make some progress.

I had the MX100 connected to the blue SCU SATA port (3Gb/s) in the ThinkStation S30. I connected the drive to a legacy SATA port (6Gb/s) and was able to update the firmware using the manual ISO method.

However, Storage Executive still does not find the drive. I did a benchmark test on both types of SATA port and the SCU SATA port is much slower than the legacy port.

So, I'm going to regard my problem as more or less solved and hope that Crucial's next version of Storage Executive will be more universal.

Bit Baby

I think I had  the same experience when I updated my Toshiba laptop,  Scenario:

- Toshiba Laptop C855

- CT256MX100SSD1 with firmware M01

- Windows 8.1 with latest updates

- BIOS in UEFI mode

- Used Storage Executive 64-bit (3.15.112014.06)  web interface to perform update

Process I Used

- Checked the "System Information", "Drive Details" and "S.M.A.R.T" screens to ensure information was accurate and no problems were identfied before upgrading.  None were reported/found.

- Performed the upgrade to M02.  The system rebooted, did the upgrade, reported no errors, and then noted it would reboot to complete the process.

- At this point the system was stuck in a reboot loop where it would say no drive was detected that needed an upgrade and it would now reboot.

Steps That Fixed My Issue

- Entered the BIOS and turned off the "Secure Boot" option and set the boot from UEFI to legacy.

- Rebooted and the system reported it could not find a bootable device.

- Entered the BIOS again and reset boot to UEFI.  The system rebooted properly.

I have not tried to re-enable the Secure Boot option yet.  When I do re-enable Secure Boot I'll post an update if the problem returns.

Bit Baby

Just spent an hour trying to update my 256GB MX100 to MU02.  No luck, kept getting Status 13 errors.  Tried the Storage Executive method as well as the bootable ISO CD image on a CD. 

Upgraded the firmware of my old Crucial SSD over the weekend and had no problems using the boot CD method.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]

Here is some file I wanted to share with you guys:

extract_firmware.sh is a bash script that extract the firmware from the crucial iso (you will need to be root).

You will get 2 files

MX100_MU02_128.bin which is the MU02 firmware for the MX100 128GB

MX100_MU02_LRG.bin which is the MU02 firmware for the MX100 with size greater than 128GB

md5sum are:

0a84d3662cf99a39c0adad01a6cec8a1 MX100_MU02_128.bin
a9214683464670a4266946efaf372499 MX100_MU02_LRG.bin

I guess you could use them with Storage Executive but use them at your own risk

Here is another bash script mx100.sh (you will need to be root) that I use to repackage crucial MX100_MU02_BOOTABLE_ALL_CAP.iso into an EFI bootable hybrid iso:  mx100.iso

This means you can use it to burn either a CDROM or into an USB key. Moreover you can boot in BIOS mode or EFI mode but not in secure mode.

That iso as only been tested in virtualbox so I can offer no warranty but it is just a repackage of crucial iso so the core files are identical.

I offer absoletly no warranty of any kind. Use these files at your own risk

JEDEC Jedi

[ Edited ]

Nice Smiley Happy

zebul666 wrote:

You will get 2 files

MX100_MU02_128.bin which is the MU02 firmware for the MX100 128GB

MX100_MU02_LRG.bin which is the MU02 ifrmware for the MX100 with size greater than 128GB

I guess you could use them with Storage Executive but use them at your own risk

I wouldn't play with those files. Looking at firmware.properties files you will see drive_model=MX100 firmware_type=S0 for the smaller one; and drive_model=M510 firmware_type=S0 for the bigger one. While M510 can be micron's equivalent to crucial's MX100 accidental firmware cross-flashing sounds risky and most likely voids warranty. What do you think?

zebul666 wrote:

Here is another bash script mx100.sh that I use to repackage crucial MX100_MU02_BOOTABLE_ALL_CAP.iso into an EFI bootable hybrid iso:  mx100.iso

I like that idea much better Smiley Happy core.gz and vmlinuz files are intact. Keepeing my fingers crossed for those who will try that.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]

if you look at etc/init.d/msd-config.sh, you will  see that M510 seems to be some internal code for the MX100 128GB

# Get count of 128 and large capacity MX100
FWDIRECTORY_128=/opt/firmware_128
MX100_128=`/sbin/msecli -L | grep -c Crucial_CT128MX100SSD1`
MX100_LRG=`/sbin/msecli -L | grep -cE Crucial_CT(256|512)MX100SSD1`
if [ $MX100_LRG -gt 0 ]; then
	/sbin/msecli -U -i $FWDIRECTORY -m MX100 -y
fi
if [ $MX100_128 -gt 0 ]; then
	/sbin/msecli -U -i $FWDIRECTORY_128 -m M510 -y
fi

This makes sense since Storage Executive on Windows was also talking about M510 for my SSD drive which is the MX100 128GB. That explains why.

Like I said, earlier, this is risky but these are the files that the msecli command use to make the firmware update. And msecli stands for micron storage executive command line interface. so ??

JEDEC Jedi

[ Edited ]

It is interesting because micron updater for all capacities of M510 (128/256) use only one firmware file, 1.bin (1 504 256 bytes). Actually the same one as in MX100 updater. 

But what you have found out makes sense.

SODIMM Sherpa

[ Edited ]

Kilobyte Kid

no.

There is 2 firmwares:

One only for MX100 128GB

and another one for the 256GB and 512GB even 1TB ?

JEDEC Jedi

summit48 wrote:

Where does the firmware originate from?

I would have thought the firmware originated from Marvell and then could have been optimized and tuned by Micron. As far as I know producers that use Marvell controllers can optimize settings according to their need or for example decide wheter they want to use some features like TCG Opal compliant encryption.

summit48 wrote:

zebul666,

I know you have identified two .bin firmware files, but bogdan says " It is interesting because micron updater for all capacities of M510 (128/256) use only one firmware file, 1.bin (1 504 256 bytes)...."

My understanding is that the M510 and the MX100 are the same drive.

And that is exactly why it is interesting Smiley Happy