SOLVED
SODIMM Sherpa

Re: Feedback Thread: Firmware MU02 for MX100

[ Edited ]

JEDEC Jedi

Yep, I can imagine #46

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

JEDEC Jedi

[ Edited ]

I remember reading with the M500 that it was custom Micron firmware.  So I would guess the drives have used custom firmware since. (Presumably based on some Marvell source)

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]

Hi Crucial,

i`ve read this thread and realised there are lots of  some pp having a hard time with the MU02 Firmware Upgrade.

I upgraded moments ago with the "Crucial Storage Executive" Tool (Win7-SP1-x64, Firefox, MX100 - 512 GB) and all went well here.

I am still using my "old" Crucial SSD, the widely sold m4-128 GB, in a Fedora 21 Linux Test Machine...great SSD...just saying.

greetz Jeffrey

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 x Crucial m4 / 128GB
2 x Crucial MX100 / 512 GB (MU02)
on Windows7x64-SP1 and Fedora 21

greetz Jeffrey
Kilobyte Kid

I love my MX100 but the firmware updater simply does not work on my MacBook. #fact

Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]

I've updated to the newest firmware without issue. I used the manual boot method as I believe it's not possible to update firmware with the Executive software if the SSD is used as the primary OS drive.

Did this yesterday and everything seemed to be running fine until a few minutes ago.

I got hit with the BSOD and disappearing drive after auto reboot. Exactly the same issue with the MU01 firmware. So MU02 firmware has not fixed this issue (for me).

The model I have is CT256MX100SSD1 running latest MU02 firmware.

MoBo: Asus P8P67 Pro REV 3.0

Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]

NeoMatter,

i want to point some things out for you:

a.)

The Software Tool provided by Crucial forces your computer to restart and then boots into a tiny linux. here the firmware update is done. the your computer reboots again into windows and your good to go.

b.)

I also had some problems with my migration process. I did clone my primary (and only) partition from my old SSD with Acronis True 2014 provided by Crucial. It did work. But 2-3 days later i bumped into problems. My computer was freezing within a second (no BSOD tho). Only solution was to restart my computer (the work i had done was lost grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr). I think it is kind of buffer overflow or system paging error that is caused by the Acronis software.

I then reinstalled my system from scratch with a windows 7 boot cd and now it seems to be fine (crossing my fingers tho=)....what im saying is, if you have cloned your former drive, it could be the same error you are facing. For now i think such freezes as i have experienced dont originate from Crucial hardware, but from the Acronis Migration Tool. My windows 7 was very old tho, like 2-3 years and full of developer stuff, so i m good with the reinstall anyways....now im sitting in front of new, shiny and quick windows7 x86_x64 prof. and it works so far...

Btw. you should put the newest BIOS/UEFI on your Asus Motherboard. Sometime that help. But this is the "least common cause" of SSD problems i think...

Hope this helps!

greetz Jeffrey

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 x Crucial m4 / 128GB
2 x Crucial MX100 / 512 GB (MU02)
on Windows7x64-SP1 and Fedora 21

greetz Jeffrey
Kilobyte Kid

Jeffr3y,

actually, I think NeoMatter has a different problem, the one I also seem to be experiencing on my MX100 512GB - the drive just suddenly stops working. You get a BSOD you'd usually get if you'd unplug your system drive while your computer was working and the MX100 is no longer visible in BIOS after automatic restart.

It starts working normally again after some more restarts. Happens around once a week for me and MU02 update hasn't helped - just had it occur this morning.

Kilobyte Kid

Thanks Jeffrey for your input. But my issue is the same as others experiencing a BSOD and missing boot drive afterwards.

I also do clean installs on any new hardware change regarding motherboard, CPU and boot drive. I never migrate or clone back. This minimizes and isolates issues quickly if I run into problems.

I am running the latest firmwares.
Kilobyte Kid

I sent my MX100512 in for RMA after having disconnects since November. I received the replacement a couple of days ago and first thing I did was plug it into the spare drive bay, assigned it a letter, and updated the firmware to MU02 using Storage Executive.

I reimaged with Acronis and it is currently running win 8.1 in my laptop. It's only been 2 days so I'm not ready to call it good yet.

If it does it again I don't plan on messing around with power settings, intel drivers, garbage collector, etc,etc.  I did enough of that with the first MX100 and it was a total waste of time. Time will tell.

Btw, Storage Executive worked fine on my system.  It saw all my drive information and updated the firmware without any problems at all. 

Inspiron 17r SE 7720,

core i7, 8g ram

Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Intel and nVidea graphics.