Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Bit Baby
Johnbyron

First generation Mac Pro SSD

[ Edited ]

My first generation Mac Pro ("4 core" - two dual core Intel Xenon processors ) came with a 500 Gb Hitachi HD (I have since installed additional HD in the other three bays.  I want to replace the primary HD, due to age, with a new one and would hope to be able to use a 500 Gb or larger SSD.   I have been to your other web pages and do not find a SSD recommended for this computer although the HD bays have SATA connections.  My manual says the hookup transfers at 3 Gbps. 

I have had your SSD recommended to me as a replacement but need to determine whether my computer can work with it. 

***Edited to remove Crucial competitor***

I to a lot of photo scanning and retouching with Photoshop CS5 and archive to my internal HD units,  as well as two external HD.  Combined,  they all are nearly 7 TB space and I have them about half full at this point,  considering I make two copies of all my work for archive. 

Is there a SSD out there I can use for my software etc,  I will upgrade from Lion to Mountain Lion.

[Title edited as new thread was created - moderator]

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

Re: First generation Mac Pro SSD

in reply to Johnbyron

Hi Johnbyron,

We unfortunately don't recommend our SSD's for Mac Pro systems due to the intensive read/write operations of a Mac Pro and also the drives would need a different casing to working in a Mac Pro system.

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Bit Baby
CameronPaine

[ Edited ]
in reply to Crucial_Junket

I'm confused by this answer since your wizard lists your SSD's as compatable with the first generation Mac Pro's. That is why I bought several. The other issue is that Disk Utility cannot see the drives for some reason. That is happening on MacPro1,1 and MacPro3,1 running on Snow Leopard and Mavericks. Do you have any suggestions as to why this is happening?

For extra information both drives show up fine via a SATA/USB caddy and in Windows. Both have had the firmware updated to the latest versions.

Cameron.

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

in reply to Johnbyron

Hi CameronPaine,

Thanks for your post.

My comment on this thread was from July last year and at that point we did not supply the correct bracket for Mac Pro systems and we did not list them as compatible.  We do now list them as compatible with Mac Pro systems, the above post was older information I'm sorry for any confusion.

To get your drive seen in OSX you have to initialize your disk.  Please see the following link to our Knowledge Base that shows you exactly how to do this. 

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD-Knowledge/How-to-initialize-your-SSD-Mac/ta-p/111...

If you have any further questions at all, please don't hesitate to ask and I would be more than happy to help. 

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service