Formatting/usage Problems with brand new 1TB MX500 when used internally as 2nd SSD in MacBook Pro

Kilobyte Kid

Formatting/usage Problems with brand new 1TB MX500 when used internally as 2nd SSD in MacBook Pro

I have a 15' 2012  MacBook Pro 9,1 running Mac OSX Maverick 10.9.5,

I am replacing an 1TB HHD that was mounted instead of the original optical drive

with a brand new 1TB Crucial MX500, the SATA bus reads 6gb/s specs so 

it is SATA 3.

The boot drive is already an SSD and works fine (SAMSUNG 250 GB) so I'm not

even trying to boot up from the MX500.

This is what happened when I installed the MX 500 ( that I had previously formatted successfully

in an external Thunderbolt enclosure) in the MacBook Pro:

It mounts and I can see the files I have copied to it externally but I can't write anything to it, if I try

to copy a file I get and " error code -50" and it says the operation cannot be completed,

if I run Disk Utility and verify the disk it stops before completion and says the disk needs to 

be repaired, I try repair and it also stops, saying : "live file system repair is not supported".

I took the SSD out of the MB and back in the external device and Disk Utility shows the disk as beeing perfectly fine.

I have a second brand new MX500 that I then installed in the MB to see if I could initialize and format it

internally, it starts the process and then aborts formatting saying it can't complete the operation.

2 brand new faulty drives are highly unlikely, I did some reading and heard about used up/faulty SATA cables,

I re-installed the original HDD and it worked perfect, after that I installed another SSD, a 500 GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO that

worked flawlesly, I ran a speed test utility and had high numbers consistent with SATA 3 transfer rates.

As far as I can tell, there's no firmare to be uptdated on this drive yet.

Any idea?

Thanks.

JB

12 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Formatting/usage Problems with brand new 1TB MX500 when used internally as 2nd SSD in MacBook P

@JBB_NYCThanks for contacting us. I am sorry for the issues that you have experienced with your drives. We would suggest testing this drive externally. We recommend connecting the drive externally and try formatting and writing to the drive. We would also suggest switching the drive locations around and see if this may solve the issue. Try your other drive in the enclosure and put the MX500 in the original drive bay.

Please let us know how these steps go and if you have any other questions or concerns.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Formatting/usage Problems with brand new 1TB MX500 when used internally as 2nd SSD in MacBook P

Hi and thanks for your reply,

both my 1TB MX500 work perfectly fine when used externally, they get formatted

and accept read & write, streaming sounds, movies etc.., speed tests, so everything is normal.

so to recap:

externally: both MX500 get formatted and you can write to the drive and use them normally.

Internally in optical bay of MacBook pro (Sata3 bus) :

can't write to the drives if formatted externally (error code-50)

when running Disk Utility, it says disk need repair, when attempt to repair it starts and then stops with message 

"live file system repair is not supported"

when trying to format the disks internally, it starts and then aborts.

a Samsung  850 500 Gb works normally when connected to that same internal bay.

The only thing I have not done so far is to try one of the MX500 in the bay of my boot drive,

maybe I'll try that next.

I'll keep you posted,

Thanks again,

Jb

Kilobyte Kid

Hi , this is an update following up on Crucial_YogiH 's reply,

I have tried everything he suggested without success.

the MX500 drives can be formtatted externally and then will mount

in my MacBook pro when connected to the optical drive's Sata 3 port, but you can't write to them, (error -50)

the disk utility says the disk needs repair but repair fails ( "live file system not suported")

If I try to re-format /initialize the MX500s while inside the MacBook pro I get this :

"Disk Erase failed with the error:Wiping volume data to prevent future accidental probing failed."

Or:

"Partition failed with the error: Wiping volume data to prevent future accidental probing failed."

I also tried the same things with both drives but this time on the main Sata3 bus inside the laptop, where I

usually have my system drive, exact same results as above.

Conclusion thus far: I can only use the 1tb MX500s in external enclosures, but internal use on both Sata3 ports fail

(mount but can't write to them, says disk needs repair, won't format internally)

Both internal Sata3 buses work fine with other SSd's I have tried (Samsung Evo 850 & 840).

JEDEC Jedi

I hate to tell you, but Apple's optical drive SATA controllers cannot always support an SSD.   Another more Apple centric site selling their own SSDs had several blog posts and even their own store sometimes will only suggest a 3G capable SSD for use on the optical drive controller.   Apple only expects to see an optical drive on that SATA port so they may have made some shortcuts which can sometimes break an SSD on that controller.

If the drives are working fine externally or in other systems on main SATA controllers, then I would say this is most likely the cause.

Kilobyte Kid

Thanks for the info,

Samsung 850 EVO works fine on that optical  SATA port though,

also tried the MX500 on the main SATA port and it's not working properly,

but since then I actually spoke to tech support who suggested a new SATA cable as they

have had success in resolving similar issues, they say pre 2012 SATA cables often

get interferences hindering completing tasks and requests properly.

I'm going to try replacing that cable and see what happens.

JEDEC Jedi

Keep in mind Crucial is only recommending products to replace the original Apple hard drive and not the optical drive.  The secondary SATA port for optical drives on Apple products may not work as expected since Apple never expected anyone to use them for anything other than the original optical drive.   There is a very high chance of compatibility issues with using the optical drive port.   Do all your troubleshooting for the MX500 on the main hard drive port or an external drive dock.

I have no experience with the MX500 since it is brand new.  I'm not sure, but it might be using a different controller than the Marvel one used on earlier MX series SSDs.

Try performing an SMC reset and a PRAM reset to see if the drive becomes visible.   Try the PRAM reset (hear at least 3 chimes), then immediately perform an SMC reset, then when you hear the chime again as it reboots, do another PRAM reset (with 3 chimes).   Years ago another 3rd party SSD vendor told me to do this when their drive was not working correctly and it fixed the problem. 

FYI, with High Sierra,  Disk Utility will not show the empty drive as the Disk Utility GUI has a bug/feature now which hides unformatted drives.   To see unformatted drives, click the drop down menu in the top left of the GUI just above the drives and select "Show All Drives" and then quit Disk Utility & relaunch it.

The known cable issues for the MBP (mid 2012) laptops only affected the 13" model.   I've never seen it affect the 15" model, but it wouldn't hurt to try either.

Please keep us posted on the MX500 as I need to decide if I should use them or the BX series on Apple products.   

Bit Baby

Hello there, I'm having exactly the same problem as you. I just bought the MX500, put it in the optical bay on my MBP (end 2011), I wanted to use it as a secondary intern hard drive.

Unfortunately the MX500 mounts but can't write on it.

I can't use it. 

Any suggestions? 

Thanks in advance

Bit Baby

Hello there, I'm having exactly the same problem as you. I just bought the MX500, put it in the optical bay on my MBP (end 2011), I wanted to use it as a secondary intern hard drive.

Unfortunately the MX500 mounts but can't write on it.

I can't use it. 

Any suggestions? 

Thanks in advance

JEDEC Jedi

@bman92,  How did you partition & format the MX500 & how was it connected when it was partitioned?   

What filesystem is currently on the MX500?   

What version of OSX are you using?