Getting cloned backup SSD running in IDE mode to boot after switching main SSD to AHCI

SOLVED
DRC
Kilobyte Kid

Getting cloned backup SSD running in IDE mode to boot after switching main SSD to AHCI

I have two SSDs, one as my main drive (incl Win7 Pro OS) and one as a mirrored backup cloned from the main drive. The main drive was cloned from my aging WD 500GB HDD running in IDE mode. As a result, both SSDs are currently in IDE mode and can be interchanged at will with no issues. If I were to switch the main drive from IDE to AHCI using the regisrty tweak (msachi value changed to "0", reboot and set BIOS to AHCI), and then would have to use the backup with msachi registry value still set to 3, I'm guessing the only way I could get the backup SSD to boot is to switch the BIOS back to IDE at boot, then go through the same process as the main drive....tweaking the msahci registry value to "0", etc?

Also, should I experience any issues with AHCI mode and decide to go back to IDE, I'm guessing the process would be to first change the msahci value back to 3, reboot, and change the BIOS back to IDE?

2 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Getting cloned backup SSD running in IDE mode to boot after switching main SSD to AHCI

It's been a very long time since I've used IDE but from memory, what's going on here is, MS are only loading the driver you actually use.  Adding the AHCI driver at a post install stage doesn't remove the IDE one.  So you would be able to switch the BIOS at will between the two.

If you were to clone your main drive to your backup drive, whilst it had the AHCI driver enabled, then the fact it's enabled would also be cloned to the second drive. You won't need top manually perform the same steps on the second drive.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
DRC
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Getting cloned backup SSD running in IDE mode to boot after switching main SSD to AHCI

My solution is to simply use the old addage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", so I'll continue to run in IDE mode since all is running smoothly and very fast, with no issues. Eventually I will upgrade my mobo to a newer SATAIII, so will go to AHCI at that time when I'll have to do a fresh install of the OS.