I have an M4 SSD that needs a firmware update. It is a storage/USB drive, how to do this?

SOLVED
Bit Baby

I have an M4 SSD that needs a firmware update. It is a storage/USB drive, how to do this?

Ok, long story short, I am using this as a quick storage drive to play movies with, and I have downloaded the firmware update software, but when I run it, it does not find the drive. I am guessing that it won't find it, because it is an external USB drive now, and I don't know how I can update it without replacing my internal drive on my laptop, which would be a HUGE pain in the **bleep**.

Any help with installing the update in my situation? I have already checked the drive details, and it is still 040, not the 070 that I downloaded. Need help!!!!!

4 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: I have an M4 SSD that needs a firmware update. It is a storage/USB drive, how to do this?

You cannot do a firmware update over USB. It has to be done via SATA.

I wouldn't bother with the update unless you especially need it.  If you read the changelog it only contains one fix above 04 and it was a fault believed only to exist in factory test conditions and not out in the wild.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Highlighted
Bit Baby

Re: I have an M4 SSD that needs a firmware update. It is a storage/USB drive, how to do this?

So I should not bother to update the drives, even though there is that 5,000 hours bug? What happens if the drive cuts out at the time, can it be revived? Thanks for the input, I might just pop it into my ROG, which is already basically open, because I had to swap out the platter drive to an SSD anyway, it will just be a big pain in my butt, but not the end of the world.

JEDEC Jedi

The 5000 hours bug affected 0009 and older.  040h is way newer than that. Smiley Happy

Note: the drives ship with the latest firmware at the time of manufacture in case you have never updated the firmware and are now wondering why yours is fairly new.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

It was printed with the 09 firmware, and they put a sticker on the back stating that it had been updated to 040, if that corrected the bug, then I won't bother. If there is still a chance that the bug is still there, I will just do as planned, and take the back off the laptop, just a pain in the butt cause of the way they mounted the drive. Thanks for the information though.