Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Binary Boss
Fred

Is TRIM Running

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I was postponing installing Win7 on my new Crucial 128 GB SSD.  I was waiting for the resolution of the slow write speed issue that some people have after installing firmware 1819.  I lost patience with waiting.  No resolution seemed to be forthcoming.

So, today I installed firmware 1819 to an empty SSD that had firmware 1571 installed.  The firmware update went well.  I then installed Win7 from a new CD I purchased.  Windows installed in about 10 minutes.  That's a record for me.  I'm giving the credit for this speedy installation to the Crucial SSD.  All my previous installations of Windows (XP, Vista, etc.) usually took from 30 to 45 minutes.

I spent a good deal of time configuring Windows 7, doing everything I could think of.  Now, I'm wondering whether the TRIM feature is enabled and working.  I can't find anything in Windows that tells me one way or the other.  Can someone tell me how I can determine whether TRIM is functioning in Windows 7?

Thanks, and have a good day.

Fred 

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

Re: Is TRIM Running

Trim is on by default in Windows 7 whether or not you have a Trim capable SSD (or even whether or not you have an SSD).  All it requires is a Trim capable drive and for you to be using the drive in ide or ahci mode (NOT non member raid) and to be using the storage controller drivers built into Windows rather than having installed any 3rd party ones (until the 3rd party ones get updated anyway)

If you run an administrative command prompt and type:

fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify

if it returns 0 then it is on in Windows

if you go to device manager and double click your storage provider and click driver.  If it says the drive is provided by Microsoft then it's supported by the driver.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Binary Boss
Fred

in reply to targetbsp

targetbsp,

Thanks for the information.  Yeah, I'm using only Microsoft provided drivers (from the Win7 CD) for everything.  I had a fully functional PC after installing Win7 (new build).  Device Manager displays nothing abnormal.  You gotta like that.

My BIOS has no option for enabling AHCI mode for SATA drives.  Go figure.  The BIOS defaults to IDE mode for my Crucial SSD, even though the User's Manual for the motherboard shows that the BIOS can be set to use AHCI mode for a SATA drive.  But in fact there is no option to select it in the BIOS.  Even so, I think this setting has no effect on performance using the SSD, as I understand it.

I'll run a command prompt using the information you gave to see what I get.  Thanks again.

Fred

Binary Boss
Fred

in reply to targetbsp

targetbsp, I ran the command you suggest and, yup, I got a 0 back!  Trim has been running all along.  You just can't beat that.  Now, just what is TRIM accomplishing.  There should be a way to check on that.  But no!

Fred

Megabyte Maverick
Mel_P

[ Edited ]
in reply to targetbsp

For "fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify" i get "0" returned.

BUT Quote "if you go to device manager and double click your storage provider and click driver. If it says the drive is provided by Microsoft then it's supported by the driver."

Can you explain which Driver you mean there are two options:

Disk Drives -- Crucial device

This shows Microsoft 21/06/2006 Version 6.1.7600.16385

OR

IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers

-- there are 3 ATA channel 0 and 3 channel 3 entries with microsoft drivers

-- there are 2 x ICH10 serial ATA controllers with Intel drivers

Please advise which ones I should be looking at?  Thanks.  Mel

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

[ Edited ]
in reply to Mel_P

It'll be one of the controllers so it depends which controller you have it plugged into.  if you only have 2 sata ports then it looks like it's plugged into a controller with intel drivers (presumably the system is in raid mode even if you have no raid drives).

Megabyte Maverick
Mel_P

in reply to targetbsp

It's a GA-EX58-UD5P with 6 x intel SATA ports and 4 x Gigabyte ports. 

The Intel ports are the ones I use and they are NOT raid - they are AHCI (IDE mode).

If these are the "wrong" drivers how do I get the Microsoft drivers?

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

[ Edited ]
in reply to Mel_P

Did you install the Intel drivers yourself?  Windows should use MS drivers unless your computer is in raid mode.  Once the intel drivers are there you're pretty much stuck.  There are various complicated techniques to try and remove them but I can't recommend one as any and every attempt I've made to remove the intel drivers has left my system not bootable. :smileysad:

Megabyte Maverick
Mel_P

[ Edited ]
in reply to targetbsp

I've just "rolled back" the drivers and it now says standard IDE drive, with microsoft windows drivers - and it rebooted (phew)

Mel

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

in reply to Mel_P

Awesome :smileyhappy: If you;re in raid mode you don;t have that option. :smileysad:  Only uninstall - and that goes horribly wrong!

Our Latest Posts