Is it compatible with Crucial ssd with a laptop asus k61IC (the NVIDIA chipset is MCP79D)?

Kilobyte Kid

Is it compatible with Crucial ssd with a laptop asus k61IC (the NVIDIA chipset is MCP79D)?

I am the owner of the Asus K61IC laptop based on the nVidia MCP79D chipset.
This chipset (as the manufacturer himself says Asus) does not support SSD-drives.
But the manufacturer Crucial guarantees compatibility with this particular model of the laptop.
Someone checked to see if this SSD will work in this notebook?

3 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Is it compatible with Crucial ssd with a laptop asus k61IC (the NVIDIA chipset is MCP79D)?

There's a flaw in that Nvidia chipset which means that sata 3 drives (such as SSD's) will only achieve sata 1, rather than the Sata 2 speed the chipset should do.  So it will work - but slower than in any other chipset.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Is it compatible with Crucial ssd with a laptop asus k61IC (the NVIDIA chipset is MCP79D)?

If I use satа 2 SSD then everything will work fine?

JEDEC Jedi

Yes... but you won't find any. Smiley Sad  SSD's were outclassing sata 2 within months of becoming mainstream.  They've all been sata 3 for several years.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?