Is my SSD dying ?

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

Is my SSD dying ?

Hello everyone, I see some errors on my M4's SMART despite it indicating 6% lifetime used, so I am wondering if my SSD could be dying soon ?

Thanks for your time !

4 Replies
Silicon Sultan

Re: Is my SSD dying ?

[ Edited ]

Over 4 years of usage, not bad, I've seen worse. How full is the drive and what operating syetem(s) has the drive had on it? Do you bench it much? Do you secure erase it before reinstalling to it?  

Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]

m0fus wrote:

Over 4 years of usage, not bad, I've seen worse. How full is the drive and what operating syetem(s) has the drive had on it? Do you bench it much? Do you secure erase it before reinstalling to it?  

Hi, thanks for your answer !

The drive is 66% full, never went past that.

It has had W7 forever and now W10, it's been a month.

I generally don't do benchmarks, except lately to see if that would cause it to get more errors somehow.

No secure erase, TRIM is supposed to do the job, right ?

Here is a new SMART, 3 days later :

2nd SMART

And behold its glorious performance ! (seems close to AS SSD test results of hardware sites upon ssd release)

What I found scary was the id 187 : Uncorrectable errors, but it has not increased over these 3 days.

Thanks for your time, have a nice day !

Silicon Sultan

Secure erase can prevent write amplification when reformatting/reinstalling, or anything re big overwrites. That said, your drive seems to be performing as well as it should. Have you tried the crystal disk monitor app? 

Kilobyte Kid

m0fus wrote:

Secure erase can prevent write amplification when reformatting/reinstalling, or anything re big overwrites. That said, your drive seems to be performing as well as it should. Have you tried the crystal disk monitor app? 

Nice tips, yes I tried different such softwares, but didn't get more info.

This SSD will go to revive an old laptop !

Got a 500GB 850 EVO :

Marking this as solved, thanks again m0fus ! Cat Wink