Issue with SSD freezing.

SOLVED
Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

Issue with SSD freezing.

[ Edited ]

Hello,

By now I have done a lot of research into this issue and I am very close to returning the product I purchased and here is why:

I bought a 2TB MX300 Crucial SSD. The purpose of this SSD was to be used as an external drive. I placed the drive in case that I had tested before with multiple drives and never had an issue (it is also a kind of new). Whenever I connect the drive to my home laptop or to my work computer the drive freezes after about 15 minutes of not being used as soon as I attempt to use it. Once that happens disk usage goes up to 100% while read and write speeds are at 0% and all applications that could be using the drive has been close (except explorer.exe). Once I manually disconnect the drive (or turn off the computer then disconnect) the freezing stops and the computer returns back to normal. When I connect the drive again the drive seems to be fine and the data is accessible once again until the same problems happens after 15to 30 minutes of the SSD being idle.

-I have the crucial storage executive installed. I have used it for updating the drive's firmware to the latest version()

-When I run crucial's storage executive while the drive is frozen, the drive does not show up in the Storage Executive panel which takes a very long time to load when the drive is frozen.

-My computer has ACHI enabled

-All USB 3.0 ports work perfectly fine

-The drive when not frozen works perfectly fine.

-I have formatted the drive multiple times and tested with very little data and with more than a terabyte of data and the result is always the same. (freezing)

-I have tested the drive for errors or other problems with multiple test software but they all say its perfectly healthy.

-My laptop is running windows 10 annyversary with the latest updates. It has a i7-3630 with  14gb memory.

-My work computer is a desktop running a Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2699 v3  with 32GB Memory (therefore all the solutions about changing the power mode do not affect this problem)

-I do not have Acronis installed (Never used it)

-My laptop is running other sdds with no issues at all. I have also ran the other SSD/HDD on my external storage device and they had no issues at all.

-I have followed tips suggesting to turn off notifications, cloud based protection and other types of notifications. Non of these fixes changed the behavior.

-I have gone through every possible solution avilable and I have narrowed down to a problem with crucial mx300 firmware as Microsoft mentions in their support page...

Microsoft is aware of this problems and says that is a firmware problem that is caused by buggy firmware from teh company that created the SSD:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3083595

The last thing I will try before I return it is as other people with similar problems suggested downloading and installing Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) RAID Driver but I have not done so since the purpose for my drive is that I can take it anywhere plug in and play the media I have on the drive and having to install extra drivers will be a serious hindrance to the use of this drive(especially on work computers).

EDIT: I tried it, I downloaded  12.9.0.1001 (The 13th version was not compatible) and installed it on my system. i restarted and tried my SSD once again. It still froze after 10 minutes. If more ifromation is needed I am willing to provide all the information I can.

S.M.A.R.T Info:

EDIT #2:

I manage to temporarily solve the issue by disabling Windows defender completely. Turn it off in settings>windows defender and  doing the following (from this link)

1. Use the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut to open the Run command.
  2. Type gpedit.msc and click OK to open the Local Group Policy Editor.
  3. Browse the following path:

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Defender

4. double-click Turn off Windows Defender. Select Enabled to disable Windows Defender and hit Apply.

While this completely solves the issue for my computer alone. Microsoft support said in their support link that this is a firmware issue which worries me as I cannot disable windows defender on every computer where I am going to use my drive.

Thanks to user  for guiding me in the right direction. Unfortunately I only consider this a temporal solution.

EDIT #3: Never mind, disregard the previous edit. It froze again but took a lot longer to freeze than the usual 5-20 minutes.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks for reading.

UPDATE: It was the enclosure indeed. I bought the NexStar CX  USB 3.0 2.5 "External enclosure from Crucial and it works perfectly fine. I am gettings speeds close to what was advertised.

bphj0PU

Thanks for all the help.  For anyone looking for the same enclosure in the future here is the link: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ctencloseusb3

14 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Issue with SSD freezing.

Could you possibly please clarify, are you using this SSD in external USB enclosure? Is the drive freezing during internal SATA connection too?

MS article says about AHCI PCIe models and give some resulution to the issue. I appreciate it is for PCIe SSDs but did you try that resolution anyway?
Intel RST drivers have no effect on how the drive work if it is connected via USB.

If we are talking about the drive that is connected with USB enclosure then my guess is that this enclosure cannot provide sufficient power to the SSD. In general SSDs are much more energy efficient than a HDDs but they can have much higher peak power consumption during use. See this example - 2TB HDD peak power is rated at 0.75A while your SSD is rated at 1.7A.

I think I would probably try different enclosure, preferably with external power source.

Other thing that I have noticed is that your drive is in TCG Opal mode, it is indicated by this small 'veiled eye' icon in Storage Executive. Typically TCG Opal mode can be enabled if you clean install Windows 8-10 on the SSD. As far as I have seen on this forum sometimes runing the drive in TCG Opal mode can cause some issues on some systems (with internal SATA connection).

Anyway you coud backup the data, PSID Revert the drive and format it once again. After that the drive will be in standard mode rather than TCG Opal mode.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]

I am using the SSD in an external USB 3.0 enclosure. I tried the microsoft resolution (it involved some registry edits), nothing changed. I figured the drive would have no effect if connected via USB 3.). 

No I have not used the SSD on my machine long enough to notice the freezing. I will try that now ( I didn't want to try that because that was not my intended use for the drive) Now I will try it because I am hoping that it might be a problem like you said with the energy efficency of the external enclosure I purshased. The only thing that is still not clear is how come the external enclosure worked for my PNY 960GB device and my intel ssd 360GB.

Thank you very much for assistance, I will report back with the results once I have tested the device in my machine.

Kilobyte Kid

EDIT: It doesn't crash at all while not on the external enclosure. Let me ask you in case you might know, is there no wireless (no external  power source) external enclosure that can handle this SSD? Because this is what I am looking for and it works fine with all my other SSDs the only difference is that this one is a different brand and its 2TB (the highest i tested was a 960GB SSD from a different brand). Do you think if i get another 2TB SSD from another manufacturer it will give me the same behavior? 

Will the ORICO Aluminum USB 3.0 or the ORICO 2Pack work?

JEDEC Jedi

[ Edited ]

To be honest I don't know, I am guessing. But I really think it can be related to power draw.
But see, your other 960GB SSD may possibly be rated 0.5A, 1.0A for your 360GB SSD.
If the enclosure has no addidtional power source it comes down to the power the USB port can provide (for example USB 3.0 port can provide more power than older USB 2.0 port, also sometimes some motherboards have higher power USB ports to support charging devices like phones or tablets). So I don't think there would be much of a difference between the enclosure you have and the other you have mentioned about. But it is worth trying a different one I guess. Especially if you could borrow it from someone with no extra costs.
If you would like to try 2TB from another producer check the power consumption rating. I would keep en eye on this.

Wouldn't it be easier and more cost effective to use HDD as a external storage device?

Kilobyte Kid

I had a HDD but I move it around all the time (like running with it in my pocket or it may fall to the ground) and I can't risk losing my information because of a disk failure. Also I often run intensive graphic applications from it that deal with very large images. I need the speed in order to load them fast enough. I also load mostly videos from it. I just don't think HDD is good solution for something I need to carry around as if it was a flashdrive. Thank you for all the help. I will look at the power consumption of other drives and will test other cases and I will be returning the case I bought. 

Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]
JEDEC Jedi

I am sorry but I don't know that. How about asking Vantec or Crucial about that and about your specific issue?

You can also google for similar issues, maybe posts like that would shed some light on this.

Also you can consider buying one of portable SSDs that have been designed by producer to work over USB. Unfortunately they may be pricey Smiley Sad

Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]

MICHAEL S. from Crucial contacted me telling me that NewStar 2.5" External Hard Drive/SSD Enclosure USB 3.0 does in fact work with my Curcial 2TB SSD. I am going to purchase that device and hope that this is actually true.

JEDEC Jedi

Keep us updated on this, please!