Issue with SSD freezing.

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Issue with SSD freezing.

The chipset in the enclosure may not know how to switch the drive out of sata low power mode. It is a newly used feature since a few years ago of the sata spec I think, but I am no expert.
Kilobyte Kid

UPDATE: It was the enclosure indeed. I bought the NexStar CX  USB 3.0 2.5 "External enclosure from Crucial and it works perfectly fine. I am gettings speeds close to what was advertised.

bphj0PU

Thanks for all the help.  For anyone looking for the same enclosure in the future here is the link: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ctencloseusb3

JEDEC Jedi

Thanks for an update! It seems that Spathi may be right and maybe the enclosure chipset is important. Well, more important that I thought before Smiley Happy

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid

I purchased the MX300 as a replacement for the internal HDD on my Dell Studio laptop.  I made a mirror image of the drive with Windows 10 as the operating system.  I see it lock up within minutes with 100% disk use in the Task Manager but no data activity going to or from the drive.  Microsoft defined an issue and supposedly fix, but it has not worked for me.  I have also tried 8-10 other suggestions from various online resources and nothing has worked.  I disabled Norton and used Defender but that did not work.  Disabling "all" virus programs does not make sense in the real world as a fix so I did not try that.  One article from Dec 2016 says MS is aware of the problem and working on a fix, but it seems to be a difficult problem to solve.  I just had several Windows 10 updates now in April 2017 and they do not fix it either.

I switched back to my HDD 500GB and still see a high activity disk use (sometimes 100%) but it does eventually go away and everything works.  The SDD actually locks up and nothing outside of a power down reset will get it back to working.  But for me it locks up once again in 5 or less minutes now.  I was going to try one more suggested changed but could not get it completed before the disk locked up once again.  For now I'm running with the HDD.  I am waiting on you Microsoft.................

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

You said you made an image of it...

Did you use Acronis?  If so - did you uninstall it afterwards?  You need to.  It will cause some systems to lock up.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

First of all, thank you!!! I saw the light by reading your post, and the problem was solved by following your instructions.

I can confirm that this problem also exists in other SSD hard drives, like the Samsung SSD 850 EVO mSATA. I have a Dell M4800

I have been looking to solve this problem for two months. I had discovered that the problem was less frequent when the power supply was plugged. When the computer was operating only from battery, freezing occured almost instantly after loading the windows welcome message.

There are some people saying that a solution is disabling AHCI from BIOS, working only under ATA compatibility mode. And it is true that this works, because ATA has no Low power management features. But the right thing to do is to disable the LPM management from Intel Rapid Storage.

There are two options to do this:

- The first one is to alter the windows registry, as explained in this post.

- The second is to disable it from the Intel Rapid Storage control panel (tab "Performance")

To be sure that this works, just do both!!

And if you are worried about disabling LPM, just don't!! This is only useful for mechanical hard drives. SSD drives have a very reduced power consumption and do not really get any benefit from LPM.

Bit Baby

First of all, thank you!!! I saw the light by reading your post, and the problem was solved by following your instructions. I can confirm that this problem also exists in other SSD hard drives, like the Samsung SSD 850 EVO mSATA. I have a Dell M4800 I have been looking to solve this problem for two months. I had discovered that the problem was less frequent when the power supply was plugged. When the computer was operating only from battery, freezing occured almost instantly after loading the windows welcome message. There are some people saying that a solution is disabling AHCI from BIOS, working only under ATA compatibility mode. And it is true that this works, because ATA has no Low power management features. But the right thing to do is to disable the LPM management from Intel Rapid Storage. There are two options to do this: - The first one is to alter the windows registry, as explained in this post. - The second is to disable it from the Intel Rapid Storage control panel (tab "Performance") To be sure that this works, just do both!! And if you are worried about disabling LPM, just don't!! This is only useful for mechanical hard drives. SSD drives have a very reduced power consumption and do not really get any benefit from LPM.