M.2 to M.2 clone?

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

M.2 to M.2 clone?

[ Edited ]

Hi there, I'm wanting to take a new laptop with a small 128gb M.2 SSD and put a larger crucial M.2 in place of it. The small SSD has the operating system installed on it.

I have no idea how to do that. Can anyone help me?  Do I just need a special cable to usb?

11 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: M.2 to M.2 clone?

Theoretically, yeah - that's what people do with the sata drives.  And google suggests such cables exist for M.2.  But I've never heard of anyone on here trying it so I can't recommend such a cable.  You could try contacting Crucial (via the customer services link in me signature) and see if they can perhaps?

Also, for machines not supplied with recovery discs, they'll typically offer the ability to create one for you if you did need to install a fresh onto the new drive rather than clone.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I've only had this setup for a few days.  Thanks for the help!

What would it be like to get a new M.2 SSD and install windows on to that from scratch, instead of trying to clone the existing stuff?

Kilobyte Kid

Another idea is that this laptop has an M.2 with operatin system on it, then it also has a 1tb Sata drive as well.   Can I clone the disk to that sata drive then replce the M.2 and then clone it back to the new one?

Smiley Frustrated

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Both should work.

As for clean install, if it's Windows 10, then you should be able to download a program from Microsoft ( https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 ) to create bootable media (either USB or DVD) and install from that.  It should recognise its installing onto the same motherboard and activate.  But to be doubly sure, make sure you are logged into your current computer using a microsoft account and use the same on your new install.

As for cloning, I've never tried to clone M.2 but I don't see why it wouldn't work.  My only concern would be would your current install, cloned to sata be expecting to boot from M.2 be happy booting from sata so you can clone back to the newly installed and at this point blank M.2 drive?  For this reason, I'd be inclined to use a backup program that can create boot media itself just in case you can't boot the sata drive. https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree can do this.

Of course, with either approach, your old M.2 install will still be intact to go back to and try again if it doesn't work first time so you're pretty safe either way!

Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

I believe that first thing to do should be to check what M.2 drives are supported by your notebook. There are two major types of M.2 drives (SATA and PCIe) and there are motherboards/notebooks that support only one of them but not both. You can check what type is your current drive and if it would be PCIe you should check if your notebook support SATA type - M.2 SSD from Crucial are of SATA type.

As for your migration: there is one more option that can be taken into account. You should be able to backup your current M.2 SSD to archive/image file and then restore that image to new drive. I believe that for example with Acronis that is bundled with some Crucial SSD (but also with other migration software) this should/could work roughly about this way:

- create recovery media - bootable USB trumbdrive

- boot your system with that media

- save backup image of your M.2 SSD to the file on 1TB SATA drive

- shut down the system

- replace M.2 drive with the new one

boot your system with recovery media

- restore the backup image from the file to your new M.2 drive

Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid

Excellent, thank you all!

I have ordered my Crucial M.2 and have already cloned my current M.2 to my SATA. Once I get the new one I should be able to clone back..

I don't get the point of a 128gb SSD with operating system on it. I had it maxed out in like two days.  Whatever, 500gb+ on the way.

JEDEC Jedi

It's a fairly typical setup.  SSD's are more expensive than hard drives and things like videos, photos and music don't need to be fast.  So you have a smaller system drive with Windows and programs on and a larger hard drive for bulk storage.

Games are where life gets tricky since they both benefit from being fast and need a lot of drive space.

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I think I have mission success here!  Just booted up from the new M.2 Crucial 525gb.

Thanks to you guys it was very easy!

Kilobyte Kid

One last item maybe you guys could help with.. I cannot seem to delete all the files from the SATA drive now that I just want to use it as storage.