M.2 to M.2 clone?

SOLVED
JEDEC Jedi

Re: M.2 to M.2 clone?

Nice one!

Since it was a copy of Windows, there'll be files you won't have permission to delete.  You can get permission for them but is there anything on the drive you need?  If it was just a copy of your Windows drive and you now want it blank - it would probably be as easy to just format it.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Thank you, format was the best way!

Bit Baby

Hi mate,

I am planning on doing this too. I currently have my OS installed in my 128gb m.2 ssd, and I have a 1TB hdd.

I am planning on upgrading both - 256gb m.2 ssb and a 2TB SSHD.

Can you share with me the step by step process that you've done? and what are the softwares needed?

Here's what I am thinking of doing:

- replace the old HDD to the new SSHD first

- migrate the OS to the new SSHD, remove the old m.2

- install the new m.2, migrate back from the new SSHD to the new m.2

my concern is in between the process that the OS is in the new SSHD, will windows still detect the OS and be able to boot my laptop as per normal?

I know this thread is now a year old but am hoping for your response.

Thanks heaps, mate.

Bit Baby

Hi mate,

I am planning on doing this too. I currently have my OS installed in my 128gb m.2 ssd, and I have a 1TB hdd.

Can you share with me the step by step process that you've done? and what are the softwares needed?

my concern is in between the process that the OS is in the new SSHD, will windows still detect the OS and be able to boot my laptop as per normal?

Thanks heaps, mate.

Bit Baby

Hi mate,,

Thanks heaps, mate.

JEDEC Jedi

Besides what has been discussed previously I would suggest using Clonezilla to create an image of your M.2 drive onto your SATA drive, then when you install the new M.2 SSD restore the image to it.   Clonezilla can be booted from a CD or USB  drive so you don't have to worry about whether Windows will boot from another drive which usually isn't a good idea and I would not recommend it.  

I don't know if Macrium Reflect or Acronis (free edition provided by Crucial) has the ability to clone a complete drive to an image file with rescue media.   I also have never used Clonezilla.

Another option would be to purchase an M.2 adapter so you could just use Acronis to clone directly to the new M.2 SSD.   I believe there are a couple types of M.2 drives and not all adapters are compatible.   If you get an enclosure for it you could re-use the original M.2 drive as an external drive.   I don't have any experience with M.2 drives so I cannot advise you further on this method, so do your research before purchasing any adapters. 

Personally I think the best solution would be to perform a clean install of Windows as a previous poster suggested.  You get rid of a lot of clutter and usually gain some performance as a result.

Bit Baby

How you did this?

I own a dell laptop 5577 with 128gb M2 drive (windows OS) and 1 tb HDD. I bought a new crucial 525GB M2 and want to clone.

Highlighted
Bit Baby

Hi did you manage to upgrade it and if yes how did you do it?