M4 / Micron C400 128 GB detects in BIOS and as a device Windows but can't mount / format / activate

Kilobyte Kid

M4 / Micron C400 128 GB detects in BIOS and as a device Windows but can't mount / format / activate

I am asking here for any ideas or wisdom on anything I can do to fix a broken/corrupted Micron C400 (otherwise identical to a M4) which I bought second-hand  - hence which has no support from the original OEM

I have done a lot of reading on this - the fault I have is identical to that described in a very old thread ...

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/M4-128Gb-Cannot-format-after-HDDErase/td-p/72941

Unfortunately this was only fixed by return to Crucial

To summarize the symptoms:

1. The drive detects in the BIOS (of various machines)

2. The drive can be reflashed withnewfirmware (downloadedfromMicron'ssupportsite) fromabootableUSBkey - andreportsthatthisfirmwarehasupdatedcorrectly

3. The drive shows up in Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8 as a device and appears in the list of drives in the control panel Disk Management utility as 119GBs of 'Unallocated' space

4. But the drive can not be initialized in Disk Management - reporting 'I/o device errors'

5. I also get the a "Failed to create partition on the selected unused space. [Error: 0x8007045d]." if I try and install Windows 7 on the clean disk.

6. I have also tried Disk Part (both from Windows command line - and by booting a Windows recovery disk) and have tried CLEAN and CLEAN ALL (no error messages - but I am not sure it is doing anything) but I always get stuck at 'CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY ALIGN=1024' - which reports 'I/O device error'

7. I have tried power cycling the drive (30 mins on USB power only - no data) 10 mins off - lots of times but with no result.

8. I have also tried Parted Magic - but this and other UBCD utilities completely fail to mount the drive - so I have been unable to try any disk erasing utilities

9. FreeDOS reports a corrupted partition table - as do some other Universal Boot CD (UBCD) utilities - but I have not been brave enough to change anything.

I would emphasize I didn't break this drive - it arrived with me in this state - ie. Unable to mount (potentially because the previous owner had attempted to wide all the previous data)

The drive in question is marked as Micron RealSSD C400 MTFDDAK128MAM-1J1 and was marked with and supplied with Firmware 0609.

From what I have read on the internet it may have originally been shipped in a Gateway laptop - but what I have found is not definitive and as I say I have no support available to me.

I have (apparently) successfully flashed it with Micron 0309 Firmware and 070H Firmware

My instinct is that there are just a few bytes at the start of the MBR/partition table which are corrupted and which are making it impossible to mount the drive.  I guess that if I had access to a firmware flashing utility that attempted to erase all the flash on the disk (rather than preserve its contents) I would have a perfectly working disk.  

But I could be wrong!

Nobody knows of a command line switch for the Crucial / Micron firmware update utility which erases the partition table do they?

Before I throw it in the bin is there anything anyone can suggest

6 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: M4 / Micron C400 128 GB detects in BIOS and as a device Windows but can't mount / format / activ

As far as I can see this P/N MTFDDAK128MAM-1J1 has been used by system builders like HP or Lenovo. Do you have a sticker/label on the SSD with something like HP P/N or Lenovo P/N? If so I would try to use their firmware updater too.

Are you able to read out SMART data from this drive?

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid

Re: M4 / Micron C400 128 GB detects in BIOS and as a device Windows but can't mount / format / activ

Thanks for a quick response

It definitely doesn't have HP or Lenovo branded sticker on the drive - it is just labelled Micron RealSSD C400 although the firmware version is printed as 0609 on the drive (and was originally on the drive before I flashed it)

The only link I have ever found to version C400 0609 firmware is on a Gateway computers support site pointing at Acer SSD firmware (albeit which appears to be Micron branded).  I may try reflashing the drive with this tonight (I only haven't previously tried it becuase it is not a bootable stand-alone version - rather a version that runs under Windows)

http://support.gateway.com/s/desktop/2011/gateway/fx/fx6860/FX6860faq4.shtml

I will try also try running CrystalDiskInfo to see if I can get any SMART data out of the drive.

I seem to remember one of the UBCD utilities showed me some SMART data, although perhaps only when I had the drive in a USB enclosure (can't remember now)

JEDEC Jedi

[ Edited ]

Probably there would be no HP/Lenovo/Gateway logo or brand on the sticker but it would rather have some related information like on this picture http://www.memory4less.com/images/products/Img0922/MTFDDAK128MAM-1J1-lg.jpg

HP Model # or HP P/N or HP/HW - that kind of elements.

What I was thinking about is that if that would appear to be a SSD used by a specific producer I would probably try to use corresponding firmware updater. Then I would try to use Parted Magic in order to "secure erase" the drive. There is a nice video guide for that procedure. As a last resort (if you really think it's bricked) just before throwing it in the bin I would probably try "enhanced secure erase" too.

Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the suggestion re Parted Magic - but unfortunately the "Internal Secure Erase" option is not posible as the drive is not even visible to the Erase Disk utility (or any other Parted Magic tools) when the drive is connected to a SATA port directly.  

I can get greater visibility of the drive in Parted Magic by hooking it through a USB caddy - but the secure erase options are disabled for USB disks, so there is not much I can do to get around that.

Attached is a screen shot showing the Disk Health diagnostic properties I can acces in Parted Magic when the drive is connected via USB.   NB have taken a look at the reported SMART parameters both here and under Windows 8 with Crystal Disk Info but I am suspicius that at least some of the reported data is inaccurate / corrupted (e.g. total drive hours are showing as 0).  I also get an i/o error (electronic connection) as soon as I try and run any SMART diagnostics

<revised images with serial no removed>

PartedMagicC400-noserial.jpg

DiskInfoC400-small-noserial.jpg

I have also succesfully reflashed the drive to the Acer Micron SSD 0609 firmware under WIndows 8 - but the drive is still showing exactly the same problems (unsuprisingly given this is the firmware it started with)

Also noted that CLEAN ALL in Disk Part (under Windows 8 on a PC which definitely has AHCI enabled) gives an I/O error - ie. the same as I get when I try to activate or create a partition - suggesting that the secure erase command may be being rejected by the drive.

Finally I am attaching a picture of the drive label - which doesn't really give any further clues to the drives OEM supplier.

C400Label-noserial.jpg

I am starting to think there is nothing left to try

Community Manager

Hi flanker2,

First of all I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with your SSD.  You have tried everything that we would suggest so it does sound like it may be faulty.  As Micron and Crucial are separate we would not be able to look at an exchange for you sadly.

You said you ordered the drive second hand?  Is it possible to contact the seller to see if they can provide you with more details as to what system it came from?  When you know what system it was you may be able to contact them to arrange an exchange.

Once again sorry for the problems you have had and I hope you can get the drive exchanged. 

Crucial_Junket, Crucial Moderator, UK

We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I am also facing the same Problem with my SSD having HP Model # MTFDDAK256MAM-1K12

Firmware Rev : 08TH