M500 and ThinkPad T420 problem

Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

M500 and ThinkPad T420 problem

[ Edited ]

I recently purchased a Crucial M500 240GB SSD on Newegg to upgrade my Lenovo ThinkPad T420 and after installation I saw the device fine
in the BIOS. I rebooted the machine to run an overnight memory test and then the next morning I stopped the test rebooted and got
the dreaded "2100: Detection error on HDD0 (Main HDD)" error.

After Googling it seems that this is a common problem with ThinkPads and various SSD's it also appears that there is no known solution
other than changing to another drive. This message seems to be unique to SSDs only - I have never experienced this error with a
spinning drive.

The M500 has been updated to the latest firmware MU05 and I have verified that the drive is firmly in the drive bay. If I change the
SATA mode in the BIOS to Compatibility mode I can see the SSD in the recognized devices but in AHCI mode the error message returns.

On the Lenovo forums someone linked to this page from Crucial that claims "Guaranteed-compatible with the Lenovo ThinkPad T420"
http://scripts.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=0EE70C9FA5CA7304

Is there something different about this SSD from the retail M500s available elsewhere? Is there something I can do about the recurring 2100 error?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Paul

1 Reply
Community Manager

Re: M500 and ThinkPad T420 problem

Hi Paul,

I am sorry for the issues that you have been experiencing with your drive. There should be no differences between your drive and drives purchased from other retailers. At this point I would recommend contacting us directly using the information in my signature so we may troubleshoot it a bit more intensively.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?