Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Bit Baby
stefd

M500 not working with USB Enclosure

I have a 120GB M500 and I intend to clone my existing installation onto it using a usb/sata enclosure. However, when I plug the drive/enclosure into my laptop the M500 is never recognised - all I ever see is the bridge, not the drive.

I have tried this with two enclosures - a Sumvision Egem enclosure and a no name one. I have confirmed that both enclosures work by trying them with mechanical drives.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm using an Acer 722 with Win7 SP1.

JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

Re: M500 not working with USB Enclosure

in reply to stefd

Did you initialize the drive? http://forums.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD-Knowledge/How-to-initialize-your-SSD-Windows/ta-...

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid
philologus322

in reply to bogdan

I have tried to follow your instructions on how to initialize my 120 SSD as I have the same problem as the OP. I clicked on My computer and found "manage" but then did not find "disk management" on there.

I am running XP on a Dell Dimension9150 and have fitted the SSD into a caddy which is attached to my desktop by a USB2 connection.

Can you suggest what I can do please?

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

in reply to philologus322

I get to it myself via control panel -> admin tools -> computer management -> disk management rather than 'manage' which i didn't know existed until this forum post. :smileyvery-happy:

So try control panel - that must be the old way if I'm using it. I'm fairly set in my ways!

Kilobyte Kid
philologus322

in reply to targetbsp

Thank you for your help in finding disk management.

I took the route you suggested and found it but there is just a box that comes up showing all my drives. It says that there is a drive at "drive 6" which is unknown and not initialized. I clicked on the space that says "unallocated " and nothing happens - other than it becomes a hatched area - so I am unable to get past that. 

Kilobyte Kid
philologus322

I right clicked  where it said "disk 6" and it gave me the option to initialize the disk. I have done this and it now says "basic.111.79 GB online".

I am now going to reboot to see if the disk is recognised. 

Kilobyte Kid
philologus322

I finally got it to initialize and it is now recognised as my "J" drive.  I had to guess most of what I needed to do because the instructions on how to initialize it in the second posting on this subject used different  terminology to what came up for me when I right clicked on "unallocated".  It did not say "new simple volume" etc. 

Got there in the end though, so thank you to those who helped. 

I will defrag my C drive tonight and then begin the process of cloning it tomorrow. 

Any suggestions on what is the best free cloning software please?

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

[ Edited ]

Anything reasonably new should work with SSD's these days.  http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx is probably a good starting point yif you have no preferences yourself.

You didn't actually need to initialise the drive btw if you were going to be cloning to it anyway - the cloning software would have done that for you.  The only reason to initialise it yourself is to use it as a data drive.  Hence the lack of instruction on this topic. :smileyhappy:

Kilobyte Kid
philologus322

in reply to targetbsp

I thought that might be the case but then I wouldn't have been able to clone to the SSD unless it was recognised as a target drive for the cloning.

When I plugged the USB caddy into my computer it recognised that a new device had been installed but it did not show up as a drive when I right clicked "My computer". It was only when I had formatted it that this occurred.

I had already had a look at macrium and think it is the one I will use.- thanks. I dowloaded it and started a trial run last night but it said that I did not have a target drive - which is why I asked for help.

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

yeha it won't show up as a drive letter until it is formatted but cloning software should still see it the same way disk management could.

Our Latest Posts