Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Binary Boss
realwarder

M500 occasional drive freeze

Running the 960GB drive... 99.9% fine, but twice had Windows lock up with this drive.  Drive light solid on.

Windows 8.1 Enterprise.  Hyper-V enabled.

Once Windows bluescreened with a paging error.

Once Windows recovered after freezing for about a minute, but the event log shows a related issue:

Error: The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because of an IO failure on volume C:.

Warning: An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 during a paging operation.

Warning: Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.

Nice drive, but clearly not perfect as the same OS image (cloned onto the drive) ran for months with a regular drive without ever doing this.  So issue has to be drive related.

Running latest MU03 firmware.

Please test more Crucial.  It shouldn't be hard to make a drive work 100%...  avoided SSDs for years because of unreliabliity and this is the first one I've trusted.

SODIMM Sherpa
Holt

Re: M500 occasional drive freeze

in reply to realwarder

Where is your pagefile? Did your check the RAM with a tool like memtest86? How are the S.M.A.R.T. Values? If you do not know how to interpret them, post a screen of CrystalDiskInfo, but please open the window for alle values and attributes to be visible.

Kilobyte Kid
Galapagos

I am also experiencing this issue. I just installed a new Crucial M500 240GB today, and this exact freezing has happened to me twice. The disk activity light stays on for a minute while the entire system is unresponsive. 

JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

in reply to Galapagos

If you are using generic MS AHCI driver and the drive is connected to Intel SATA controller you could try to use latest Intel RST driver, I believe 12.9.0.1001 is the most recent version.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Binary Boss
realwarder

Screenshot requested:

Drive Info

Binary Boss
realwarder

in reply to bogdan

bogdan wrote:

If you are using generic MS AHCI driver and the drive is connected to Intel SATA controller you could try to use latest Intel RST driver, I believe 12.9.0.1001 is the most recent version.

Not sure why I'd need to do that.. never used anything other than Microsoft standard drivers without issue since the days of playing with Cyrix, AMD and VIA motherboards several eons ago.

Binary Boss
realwarder

in reply to realwarder

Another one...

Freeze

JEDEC Jedi
targetbsp

in reply to realwarder

realwarder wrote:

bogdan wrote:

Not sure why I'd need to do that.. never used anything other than Microsoft standard drivers without issue since the days of playing with Cyrix, AMD and VIA motherboards several eons ago.

It's well worth trying.  Most systems work with any sata driver. Some systems though work better with one or the other and even the version can matter. Intel driver 11.2 is the ideal one for my system for instance.

Binary Boss
realwarder

in reply to realwarder

Currently trying this info:

https://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2013/06/21/event-id-129-storachi-reset-to-device-dev...

A few people indicate that turning off PCI-Express Link State Power Management helps. 

Given that I am seeing this under heavy workloads with Hyper-V, it might be related.

Happened again this morning which lead me to search for more ideas.  Not seen since, but time will tell...

JEDEC Jedi
bogdan

in reply to realwarder

Nice article. Keeping my fingers crossed for that would help to solve the issue you have with your system.

You may want to note that recent Intel RST driver seems to have good power management and moreover user can set up some link power management options within RST management console :smileywink:

Our Latest Posts