Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Kilobyte Kid
glockmane

M500 problem with Bitlocker encryption

Hi there,

I just got a new notebook (Acer V3-771G) and upgraded it with a Crucial M500 SSD to use hardware encryption.. I updated UEFI BIOS to the newest version and enabled UEFI, then I installed Windows 8 Pro.. As I have no TPM chip onboard, I changed the group policy to allow Bitlocker without TPM module..

Now when I turn on Bitlocker, it reboots and says that hardware encryption is not supported.. When enabling there is a checkbox, when set it will check if key is readable.. So I unchecked the box and voila Bitlocker says activated (takes only a second).. So far so good, but if I reboot the system, Windows says repairing and refuses to start, any repair attempt fails so I can just a backup I made before activating Bitlocker..

If I understand correctly TPM is not a must for hardware encryption, but UEFI is and since I got UEFI BIOS I assume it should work..

Thanks in advance for any help :smileyhappy:

Greetings

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

Re: M500 problem with Bitlocker encryption

in reply to glockmane

Hi glockmane,

Sorry for the late reply I was just checking some details with our tech team.  The M500 is fully compatible with Bitlocker and it has been tested to show this.

It possibly down to Bitlocker and your computer having compatibility issues.  The tech lab advised if you could try the power cycle on the drive to see if that would then allow it to work with Bitlocker.

The instructions for the power cycle can be found HERE.

Please let us know how it goes.

Junket, Crucial Moderator UK
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid
matthew5025

[ Edited ]
in reply to Crucial_Junket

Hi,
I have the same probelm with my W530. On a clean install of Windows 8, I get the same problem.
However, once I install all the Lenovo drivers from their website, I am no longer able to utilise hardware encryption; Bitlocker will ask if I want to encrypt part/ whole drive, then go through the lengthy process of encryption.

Kilobyte Kid
NikNakk

[ Edited ]
in reply to matthew5025

I've got the same problem with my 960GB M500.

I'm using a Sony 13" Vaio S series 2012 model (SVS13A15CE). This originally came installed with Windows 7 Home Premium, and I'm running an in place upgrade of Windows 8 Pro (clean installs are not supported by Sony).

These are the things I've tried:

- Cloning a working installation of Win8 from the supplied hard disk to SSD

-> Result: Bitlocker could not be enabled at all (despite working previously on the hard disk). It came up with the error 'Bitlocker could not find the file specified.'

- Installing Win8 as a clean install

-> Result: Bitlocker works, but it does not recognise the SSD as having the ability for hardware encryption and so uses software encryption instead.

- Installing Win8 as in place upgrade to factory supplied Windows 7

-> Result as per previous option.

I've also tried to force hardware encryption using group policy, which seems to do nothing, and by using the following Powershell command:

Enable-BitLocker -MountPoint c: -TPMProtector -HardwareEncryption

This gives error 0x803100B2 'The drive specified does not support hardware-based encryption.'

I should have everything else required for Windows to support the SED. I have a working TPM which does fine for software Bitlocker, and I'm using UEFI though I'm unsure how to verify the UEFI version.

The only other thing that might be relevant is that there are two error messages that appear in the Event viewer with the source TPM:

The system firmware failed to enable overwriting of system memory on restart. The ACPI request could not be interpreted by the firmware. The firmware should be upgraded.

and

The device driver for the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) encountered a non-recoverable error in the TPM hardware, which prevents TPM services (such as data encryption) from being used. For further help, please contact the computer manufacturer.

As indicated, these errors don't seem to affect the functioning of the TPM for software based encryption.

There isn't a newer version of my laptop's firmware available, as far as I can tell.

Can anyone suggest anything else? I'd be interested in trying alternative software for SED management if appropriate, but everything else seems to be aimed at enterprise only rather than single user applications. Even pricing for the software from ISVs that support TCG OPAL drives is only on request.

For now, I'm using Used space only Bitlocker software encryption, which may have some future issues in terms of wear levelling and of course negates some of the speed advantages of an SSD but at least is better than nothing.

Kilobyte Kid
matthew5025

in reply to NikNakk

Any updates? I tried the power cycle and it did not work

Kilobyte Kid
mhils

in reply to matthew5025

I second that. Any updates on this issue?

Binary Boss
GfromNH

in reply to mhils

Hello,

I would also appreciate an update on this issue. I am having the same problem. I have Windows 8, UEFI 2.3.1 enabled, I've tried with and without TPM and nothing works. At first it appears bitlocker works just fine but when the system is rebooted it fails to start and the OS must be re-installed. If you let Windows check the system before enabling bitlocker the check fails.

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

in reply to GfromNH

Hi guys,

I'm sorry for the lack of replies but this is something that we are still looking in to.

As soon as we have an update on how to resolve this we will reply to let you know.  Once again I'm sorry for any problems this has caused and we are working on a solution to this.

Binary Boss
GfromNH

in reply to Crucial_Junket

Thanks for the reply Junket. Based on your reply I am assuming there is a known problem with these M500 drives and Bitlocker w/ hardware encryption on Windows 8? Is this assumption correct? I am about to try this again with a different M500 drive, should I hold off until there is an update on this issue? 

Community Manager
Crucial_Junket

in reply to GfromNH

Hi GfromNH,

There is no known issue to speak of but we need to try and replicate what has happened with the few people who have reported it here.

We have not had a lot of customers complain about this but we take every customer issue seriously so we need to investigate it fully before we can make a comment on what's causing it.

I'm sorry for any problems this has caused so far and we are having a look in the lab for a solution.

Our Latest Posts