MX100 Cannot reset HPA back to factory settings

Bit Baby

MX100 Cannot reset HPA back to factory settings

I am one of those who've fallen victim to Dell's preventing cloning of their laptop drives to larger drives. The original drive was 73GB of apparent drive space. When I cloned the drive to a 256GB MX100 and booted, the boot failed and I was left with its size truncated to match the original drive's 73GB SSD.

That's when I learned what HPA is. Using the HDAT2 utility, I reset the drive size back to its original 256GB and I cleaned up the boot sectors so that it did not reset the HPA again. After power-cycling the drive, however, I was now left with 118.62GB! That is more than the 73GB that Dell left me with, but no matter what/how I use HDAT2 to restore the size to 256GB, that only lasts until the next power cycle.

Is there another setting that I might need to set to have the drive retain its full, factory setting? Does Crucial have a tool that can permanently reset the drive back to factory size?

3 Replies
Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Re: MX100 Cannot reset HPA back to factory settings

You can try Crucial Storage Executive tool with its new feature FlexCap.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Bit Baby

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the reference. I installed it on Win10. Unfortunately none of the app's functions work. Whatever I do, I get the message:

No Drives Found
No supported drives were discovered in the system.
This may be because you are running on Windows with all your drives configured in a RAID array, which is currently not supported.
If you feel you have supported drives that should be recognized by the software, please submit your system configuration information via the support link.

And with FlexCap, I get: 

No Drives Found Supporting FlexCap

FlexCap is only available when the drive is not the boot drive, is not encrypted, and there are no mounted partitions.
There are no drives found that support the FlexCap feature.
If you feel you have a drive that should support FlexCap, it may be that the drive is your boot drive or it currently has mounted paritions.

I have run Disk Management to make sure that there were no mounted volumes from that drive.

JEDEC Jedi

[ Edited ]

I would probably check if all motherboard/chipset drivers are installed for your particular system. On all my systems (older, newer, notebooks, PCs) CSE works with no issues.

Have you tried to get in touch directly with Dell or Crucial support?

As for the HPA I have only read about HPA and DCO and never really had to fix any drive this way. It seems there are some tools that are able to modify this kind of parameters but I am not sure does it work the same way on HDDs and SSDs, maybe it does. You would probably act on your own responsibility.
I think you could safely check/detect the HPA/DCO values without modifying anything. Download OSForensics, go to 'Drive Imaging' option > 'Hidden Areas HPA/DCO' tab > and click 'Detect HPA/DCA' button.
I wonder what values would you see for 'Max User LBA', 'Max Native LBA' and 'Max DiskLBA'...

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!