MX100 SSD suddenly went slow/MacBook Pro

Memory Leak Geek

MX100 SSD suddenly went slow/MacBook Pro

Hello everyone.

Here is my system setup :

MacBook Pro 13", mid 2012, intel Core i5, 2.5GHz

OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.5

Crucial SSD MX100 512GB CT512MX100SSD1 (as system and data disk), FW rev MU01, trim enabler installed.

16GB RAM 2x8GB Crucial sticks (1600Mhz DDR3)

Optical HD drive in optical bay caddy : Apple HTS547550A9E384, 500GB

I bought my Crucial SSD end of Oct, 2014 and installed it right away. I use my MBP for work (sales) and music production, I have system on the SSD (boot drive) as well as data and the HDD has a lot of additional data as well. I normally just close my MBP without turning it off for several consecutive days.

So a couple of days ago after having worked on it in the morning (it was all OK), I open it up and wake it from sleep and it was suddenly too slow.

I restarted the MBP and while at the white screen, what should be the apple logo started blinking/switching real fast between question mark/forbidden sign/apple logo. So I restarted once again, finally got it to boot but everything was so slow. Even entering my password took forever.

I started it up using a friend´s emergency USB drive and even that is way faster than starting from SSD.

I read in this forum that it could be a garbage collection issue, and even though I had no gradual degradation of performance (it was all of a sudden) I followed the recommendations and boot my MBP using option key at white screen and left it at startup disk manager all night long (7hrs). No success.

Additionally this morning 11am I boot it using USB boot drive again and disabled "put hard disks to sleep when possible" and just left it there to do nothing all day. I came back at 4.30pm and reboot it from SSD and still awfully slow.

Really need some help here guys. Is there anything that can be done besides wiping the MX100 to bring it back to life ? I am getting a little frustrated here.

Please help.

19 Replies
Dual Channel Surfer

Re: MX100 SSD suddenly went slow/MacBook Pro

[ Edited ]

JEDEC Jedi

You can also post SMART data of the drive in order we could take a look at it for you.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Memory Leak Geek

Summit48:

Thanks a lot for your resonse, I will answer your questions one by one:

1 You could have a hardware fault, but it is displaying symptoms of Trim not working, so I would check that first.

***You may be right there, I checked Trim enabler and it was turned off. I ignore why, I am sure I activated it right after installing my SSD. However, I rebooted the Macbook and I only had a slight imrovement for like 5 minutes and then it went slow again.

2 I would strongly recommend you upgrade the MX100 to the latest firmware which is MU02.

***OK I will find out how to do that and do the ugrade.

3 Is there any reason you are still running Mountain Lion? If you are using a third party SSD you should consider upgrading to Mavericks OS X 10.9.5 which is free.

***The reason is stability for music production, sometimes my plugins may not be ready for the upgrade. 

4 Is there a reason for not turning your MacBook Pro off for several consecutive days? With an properly functioning SSD it should only take around 15-20 seconds to boot up.

***Not really, I guess I am just lazy about that and I really should do it. I thought it was not a problem but I am recently learning it could be. Will do for sure from now on!! 

Thanks.

Memory Leak Geek

[ Edited ]

Thanks for replying Bogdan.

Here is the smart data from Trim Enabler :

Memory Leak Geek

Oh, and by the way...I was checking the instructions for updating firmware. It strongly suggests to back up all data before updating. My backup is taking forever...transfer rate is 16GB in 2 hours. Smiley Frustrated

Dual Channel Surfer

[ Edited ]

Memory Leak Geek

[ Edited ]

Thanks Summit48,

I already verified and repaired the disk using disk utility, that was one of the first things I did even before joining the forum. Verification showed a lot of permissions were off (A BIG LIST), and they have since been repaired with disk utility. That had no impact whatsoever.

Today I took the SSD out and exchanged it for the HDD I had in the caddy. Erased the HDD and did an install of Mountain Lion so the Macbook is up and running now. I took the SSD and put into a USB enclosure and now the transfer rate is much better. I know the conditions are not the same but here is the comparison anyway :

Booting from external USB emergency disk w/ SSD in primary disk slot (internal) transferring to an external USB drive : 16GB in 3 hours.

Booting from internal HDD in primary disk slot w/ SSD as external USB drive transfering to the same external USB drive : 165GB in 1 hour.

I don´t understand why the big difference, really. I am going to backup the whole SSD and then wipe it, update it and give it one more chance. If it works, then I´ll monitor it periodically. If it doesn´t, it´s going back to Amazon where I purchased it.

Whatever the outcome from this point on, I gotta be honest, I don´t really feel like I had a good experience with this SSD.

JEDEC Jedi

Hi Ivan_Robles,

Have you checked for EFI/SMC updates for your MacBook Pro 13", mid 2012? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201518

summit48 wrote:

The Smart data indicates yo have issues with the SSD. It looks like you have a combination of a faulty disk and a SSD that is "full" because of Trim being turned off.

I wouldn't necessarly judge it this way that fast.

The TRIM enabler you use doesn't display all attributes names correctly. For example instead of 'Runtime Bad Block' it should display 'SATA interface downshift' I believe. Also looking at some numbers I think it is possible it doesn't calculate all values properly, but that is a different story. 

What really draws attention is high count of 'Ultra-DMA CRC error count' and SATA interface downshifts that shouldn't happen. Typically UDMA CRC errors are caused by the connection problem between the drive and the host and most common solution is to reseat the cables connectors or try different SATA cables. Also it may be an explanation for a difference between SATA and USB connection you see.

I am not Mac user however I can recall that in some cases users were able to solve their issues with fast SATA3 SSDs by replacing SATA cable in their Macs. 

So as a part of troubleshooting I would check for EFI/SMC updates, update drive's firmware and consider replacing the cable with good SATA3 one. If that wouldn't help then I would probably replace the drive as suggested by summit48.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Dual Channel Surfer

[ Edited ]