MX100 SSD suddenly went slow/MacBook Pro

Memory Leak Geek

Re: MX100 SSD suddenly went slow/MacBook Pro

Bogdan and Summit :

Thanks a lot for providing continued help on this. I will definately try all of your suggestions to see if I can get a positive outcome out of this.

First things first, as in updating firmware once my backup is finished. As per Summit48´s message that might just be what solves my problem, hopefully.

Bogdan : what application do you recommend for SMART analysis ?

JEDEC Jedi

Unfortunately I don't know Mac applications Smiley Sad

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Memory Leak Geek

LOL, that´s OK Bogdan, thanks.

Update : I finished backing up all my SSD files and then pulled out an old PC I have from work and installed Storage Executive on it. I updated my SSD firmware to MU02 and then erased it...nice application! Hope they had a mac version for it!

Anyway, here are a couple of pics I took from the Storage Exec screens, hopefully they provide more info about my SSD´s health than the previous ones :

Storage Exec says the drive is in good health. Any other pointers that you see here guys ?

Dual Channel Surfer

[ Edited ]

Memory Leak Geek

No good news guys, here is the scoop.

I did a clean install of Mountain Lion on my HDD (the one that was in the caddy), I had previously mounted it on the primary drive position. I boot the MacBook Pro and try it for some time, install some apps, surf the net, etc. Everything works fine, even speed seems decent I benchmarked it with Blackmagick and the speeds were around 45/60 (write/read). I installed Trim Enabler in preparation for my next step.

So once I was sure that the system was working OK on the HDD, I cloned it to the SSD using disk utility, and then mount the SSD on the primary drive position. I boot up, go to applications and make sure Trim Enabler application reports TRIM is working and yes, it says all is OK. I open up Blackmagic and benchmark it...only a slight improvement vs the HDD 65/70 (write/read).

Everything performed great for a few minutes and then I start getting the spinning wheel of death again. Smiley Mad

I go to System Profiler and it reports to have everything working, negotiated link speed 6G, Trim working OK, etc,etc,etc....but I keep getting the spinning wheel on almost every click, boot up time is slow and when I introduce my password the computer just sits there with spinning wheel for some time before loading the OS...here is a screenshot of system profiler:

I am thinking most probably I should return the SSD.

Any ideas ? 

Dual Channel Surfer

[ Edited ]

Memory Leak Geek

Hi Summit, you know, you might just be right. Here is what happened after I wrote my last post. Took out the SSD and put the original HDD in its place along with another HDD in the caddy, reinstalled OSX ML and after 15 minutes of using the laptop it started acting up again.

My initial thought was that the culprit was the caddy, so I brought out the superdrive, took out the caddy and brought my MBP back to its original configuration : superdrive in (no caddy) and original HDD. It acted up again !! I reset the PRAM and that seemed to do the trick, but by that time it was already 10pm and I realized I had spent my whole Sunday afternoon mounting, unmounting, installing and reinstalling stuff. So I just left it in what I thought was good condition.

I come to work this morning, fired it up and I got the folder with a question mark at startup (instead of the apple), it was 9am. I go into a meeting at 10 and get out an hour and a half later, start it up and voila! Working now. 

So.....looks like I may have a bad ribbon cable or something of the sort because I am actually replying from that same MBP, it´s up and running now. I am going to replace that cable and keep testing until I get a stable system with the original factory configuration (original HDD+superdrive) and then I will take the steps you suggested. 

I will report back!

Bit Baby

Please report what happened finally, i have a similar problem with my MBP and a MX100 SSD. It takes a lot of time just to format the new (and empty) SSD with Disk Utility. I need to know if the problem was in the ribbon cable or in the MX100.
Please help Smiley Sad

Bit Baby

Did you find out what was causing the problem?

I'm having the same problem at the moment and don't know if the ssd or sata cable is broken.

I'm thinking about ordering a new sata cable but I would like to be sure it will solve the problem.

Bit Baby

I'm sorry for the delay, but yes, I found the problem. It was the hard drive conector (sata cable), not the hard drive. I replace it and now it works perfectly.

I hope this can be useful for somebody.