(MX200) Momentum Cache & UPS

SOLVED
Memory Leak Geek

(MX200) Momentum Cache & UPS

[ Edited ]

Has anyone been able to get the momentum cache to recognize their UPS?  I have a UPS attached to my system, the battery device is listed under "devices and printers", and I can monitor the battery status etc.  With all of that working properly I still get the warning message that Momentum Cache doesn't see a battery attached to my system and data loss could occur.  Of course I am ignoring the message, but it is irritating that the UPS is not seen.  

My system is running Storage Executive 3.2 on Windows 10 Professional X64.  (Using the MX200 500G SSD)

Thanks for any help!

GH

10 Replies
Binary Boss

Re: (MX200) Momentum Cache & UPS

[ Edited ]

The only reason the software looks for your UPS is to determine whether or not to show the warning. It is not really a thing if you know you have one. More to the point, if you are using that SSD as your boot drive, you do not want to be running the cache. Firstly, boot drive or not, if your system crashes then you stand to have data loss even if a UPS is attached. If it is your boot drive that could well make your OS unbootable. Secondly, the cache only helps for bulk transfers and so can be useful if you use your SSD as a secondary data drive. It will increase latency as a consequence and so will slow down your effective speeds when using it to run your OS from.

Your 500gig MX200 doesn't use the hardware cache system of the smaller MX200 drives which is why it has such great latency. Using the momentum cache will negate this advantage.

I tried it with my 512gig MX100. It's not worth it.

Memory Leak Geek

Not trying to be cantankerous , but it was my understanding from what was published with the Storage Executive v3.2 s/w that all of their SSD's would profit by running the cache.  I have it "on" based on their documentation that indicates  it will help to eliminate multiple small writes and re-writes to the drive, thereby improving it's over-all lifespan.  

The drive tests I ran with it "on" vs "off" were so greatly improved by running the cache that it was obvious that the test was simply showing me the read/write performance of my system ram and were therefore meaningless.  That, along with a lack of time, caused me to leave it in the "On" state.  Only since noticing the warning about the UPS have I again started to question the reliability of the momentum cache.  

Your points on write caching a system drive are well founded, however it has been my experience that a system crash can cause critical system file corruption whether the drive is cached or not.  (Which is why I do complete system back-ups twice weekly.)  

It would be nice if someone from Crucial were to weigh in on this as I would really like to get the best performance AND lifespan possible out of my new drive.  

Thanks for taking the time to post, it seems as if this forum is very inactive.  I hope that means that Crucial SSD's are extremely reliable!

Regards,

GH

JEDEC Jedi

[ Edited ]

(I'm not from Crucial)

I don't use it myself.  Ran it for a while and couldn't tell any real world difference.  OS messed up a bit following a crash with it on once but ofc it's impossible to tell if it would have messed up anyway.

The life expectency of modern SSD's is sufficiently high that that alone probably isn't a good reason to use it.  Every one I own, going back 6 models ago, is on course to outlive me I expect!

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Binary Boss

[ Edited ]

Life expectancy thing is not really worth highlighting, as you won't have those problems anyway. Crucial drives have specific protection against data corruption on power failure (or reboot due to crash) which is great, but negated when you use the Momentum cache. Nothing's 100%, but that cache makes a corruption event much more likely. The drive tests you ran (assuming they're artificial) would show an improvement as they focus on long bursts of test patterns. Such tests are not good for determining how this drive will 'feel' when used as an OS drive. The speed you feel with an SSD as an OS drive over an HDD is mostly due to the massivly improved latency. You will note that it is in this exact area that the Momentum cache falls over and being a stage in the way actually adds latency noticably. Some SSD test programmes will show that latency figure, but it won't affect the other tests they do.

The clue is in the name, folks. Momentum.

Bit Baby

[ Edited ]

I just fired up the Crucial Storage Executive 1.7.3.0, and I see the following message:

"It is recommended that you enable Momentum Cache on your boot drive".

So, is it recommended by Crucial or not?  And the original problem remains - how come it doesn't recognize the UPS, because I also get the message "NO Battery Detected"

(By the way, I am using an MX300)

Memory Leak Geek

I have been running the Momemtum Cache for many months.  (Since I originally posted this message in fact.)  Yes it DOES improve performance, slightly.  My drive is the boot drive as well.  Yes, Crucial recommends that you ENABLE the cache.  As far as I can tell, Crucial/Micron refuses to acknowledge the problem of the cache not recognizing the UPS.  Why others feel compelled to chime in and advise about the performance / dangers of using the cache while completely ignoring the main reason for the thread, I dont know. 

To summarize;

Crucial recommends using the cache, period.  I have done so with absolutely no problems for months.

Crucial refuses to comment or fix the UPS issue.  This doesnt matter, my system is UPS aware and will perform an orderly shutdown on power loss regardless.

Regards...

JEDEC Jedi

[ Edited ]

gahelm wrote:

Why others feel compelled to chime in and advise about the performance / dangers of using the cache while completely ignoring the main reason for the thread, I dont know. 

This is a public peer to peer forum.  Not a support ticketing system. Smiley Happy  People may want to discuss the topic you started whether or not they are able to provide an official answer to your question.  To get an official and/or private answer to it, you'd have to contact Crucial - the link is in my signature for that. Smiley Happy

Want to be a Super User?
Memory Leak Geek

targetbsp wrote:

gahelm wrote:

Why others feel compelled to chime in and advise about the performance / dangers of using the cache while completely ignoring the main reason for the thread, I dont know. 

This is a public peer to peer forum.  Not a support ticketing system. Smiley Happy  People may want to discuss the topic you started whether or not they are able to provide an official answer to your question.  To get an official and/or private answer to it, you'd have to contact Crucial - the link is in my signature for that. Smiley Happy

Yet another example of "lets ignore the subject and talk about whatever we like."  Of course I know how to contact support, I wanted to hear from the "public peer to peer forum" because Crucial had been of no benefit with regards to the subject!

JEDEC Jedi

On behalf of everyone here taking time out of their own personal lives to try and help you out the goodness of our hearts - I apologise.

Want to be a Super User?