MX300 275GB locking up after a short time

Kilobyte Kid

MX300 275GB locking up after a short time

Hi all,

I've recently bought an MX300 to replace my 120GB SSD which has been running fine for a couple of years. I've cloned the OS and expanded the drive space which is something I have done numerous times in work for customer PCs/laptops. I can start up Windows and log in but after a short time (10-15 minutes) my applications will stop responding. When I can get into task manager I see 100% disk active time under performance. What I have tried so far -

1. re-image the disk

2. clone it from my laptop and install in there - same issue on a different machine

3. return the original SSD to the shop for replacement - they confirmed an issue on their test caddy

4. image the replacement SSD - same problem comes back

Question - is anyone else having similar issues? Does anyone from Crucial monitor this forum and can they comment?

Is it likely to be incompatibility between my Gigabyte MB and the SSD - I doubt this as it was the same issue in a Lenovo laptop which is already running a 250GB SSD

7 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: MX300 275GB locking up after a short time

If you used the supplied Acronis to do your cloning, you need to uninstall it afterwards.  It causes this behaviour on some systems.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Thanks but no, I used EaseUS software which I have used many times

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Do you have hot swap capability on the motherboard?  If you do, try turning it on for the sata port the SSD is connected to.  If it's a power saving related issue that's the lowest effort solution to it.  I do it as a matter of course on all my SSD's - I wouldn't even know if my Gigabyte board had an issue with the setting off because I've not tried it. Smiley Happy

If you don't have hot swap, disabling link power management would be a good start.  If you are using Intel RST, it's under the performance tab.

And on the subject of drivers, you could also try swapping between your chipset driver (such as IRST) and Microsofts AHCI driver.  From experience with an older system - even the version of IRST can make a difference.  On an old Dell of mine, only a very specific versions supported my optical drive, HDD's and SSD's all at the same time.

We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

What is the exact model of your motherboard?

Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid

I've now tried it as a fresh installation of Windows in my laptop and so far so good. I still have the original SSD to fall back on for a few days if it plays up.

Motherboard in the desktop is a Gigabyte B75M-D3H. Laptop is a Lenovo E540

JEDEC Jedi

If it is working with fresh installation then do not attempt to make it better Smiley Wink If it ain't broke, don't fix it Smiley Wink

Typically I would look into chipset drivers (have you installed them?) and storage driver (Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver). Your Lenovo notebook should be running RST version 12.8.0.1016. On the Gigabyte B75M-D3H I would install  version 11.1.0.1006 - I have B75M-D3V based desktop and it is running very well with this driver (Windows 7 x64 in my case). 

Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Bit Baby

I uninstalled Acronis and then enabled Momentum Cache.  This solved the problem for me.  Some people have complained that turning on Momentum cache takes a significant chunk of your RAM, but I have 8GB's so it's no big deal for me.  I can always go to 16GB's if I need to.