MX300 2TB reports bogus capacity

Kilobyte Kid

Re: MX300 2TB reports bogus capacity

Sanitize Drive  didn't work, because the Linux it's based on suffers from the same problem as my main installation, namely that it tries

to access disk sectors that are beyond its capacity, which takes almost 5 minutes per sector to get a timeout error back.

Thank you both, HWTech and targetbsp, for your time, I'm going to try to RMA the device.  Do you happen to know the product number

I need to enter into the RMA site?  It's supposed to be a 5 or 6 digit code on the original packaging which I no longer have ( CT2050MX300SSD1 )

Thanks and have a nice day!

DIMMented

Thanks for the update on the situation.

Contact Crucial Support directly by their Live Chat.  I've started the RMA process this way a few times.

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Ah, yeah.  That is the bit that's on the packaging!

Crucial customer services for your region (link in my signature) should eb able to supply that.  Failing that, forum regular Bogdan can usually magic them up from somewhere when he next visits!

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

The material number that should work is 323595

As for the reported capacity/drive data... if you are going to RMA the drive (that is still covered by a warranty) I wouldn't suggest playing with drive configuration. However, out of curiosity, you coudl probably check (and only check) HPA/DCO information.

I have only read about HPA and DCO and never really had to fix any drive this way. It seems there are some tools that are able to modify this kind of parameters but I am not sure does it work the same way on HDDs and SSDs, maybe it does. You would probably act on your own responsibility.
I think you could safely check/detect the HPA/DCO values without modifying anything. Download OSForensics, go to 'Forensic Imaging' option > 'Disk Hidden Areas HPA/DCO' tab > and click 'Detect HPA/DCA' button.
I wonder what values would you see for 'Max User LBA', 'Max Native LBA' and 'Max DiskLBA'...

Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid

The problem is already within the response to the ATA IDENTIFY command, the capacity bytes are all 0xff, and no HPA is advertised at all (also not on the other 2TB drives that are still working fine). This is a working one: [ 1.357982] ata1.00: ATA-10: Crucial_CT2050MX300SSD1, M0CR060, max UDMA/133 [ 1.357983] ata1.00: 4004704368 sectors, multi 16: LBA48 NCQ (depth 31/32), AA [ 1.362877] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 4004704368 512-byte logical blocks: (2.05 TB/1.86 TiB) And the broken one: [ 2800.120885] sd 10:0:0:0: [sdc] 4294967295 512-byte logical blocks: (2.20 TB/2.00 TiB) The sector count is hex 0xFFFFFFFF, which is erased flash. For some reason I cannot yet fathom, both Linux and Windows 8 try to read a few sectors from the reported end of the device, while Win10 (sensibly) does not, which sort of "hides" the fault from Win10 users. And the drive takes a long time to report a fault on those invalid read addresses (~30 seconds). There's potential to improve the firmware a bit here Smiley Happy Thanks for the material number!
JEDEC Jedi

Thanks for an update Smiley Happy Good luck with RMA process!

Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!