MX300 525Gb SSD and 13" Macbook 2.4GHz Mid 2010 IC2 Duo (4Gb RAM, Yosemite 10.10.5)

Bit Baby

MX300 525Gb SSD and 13" Macbook 2.4GHz Mid 2010 IC2 Duo (4Gb RAM, Yosemite 10.10.5)

So, just fitted one of these. Im looking for advice but also adding my info for anyone else looking to fit the same drive.

Took a few readings with HDD fitted - bootup time, opening of Photos, Shutdown time. Then compared after fitting the SSD.

Yes, everything is faster but not as much as I was expecting. Saw that there was a firmware update, so downloaded the ISO, burnt to dvd and installed. Made a difference to bootup speed cmpared to previous firmware for sure however, using Blackmagic Speed Test app I'm seeing the exact same read and write speeds before the FW update. Write speed of around 211-213MB/s (with dips to 190MB/s) and Read of 250MB/s. Yes its much faster than HDD but some way short of advertised speeds.

Have reset PRAM and SMC. Allowed Spotlight to reindex. Nothing else running.

Are these speeds as much as I can expect or is there a problem?

Please advise. Thanks

2 Replies
Bit Baby

Re: MX300 525Gb SSD and 13" Macbook 2.4GHz Mid 2010 IC2 Duo (4Gb RAM, Yosemite 10.10.5)

Think I can answer my own question! 

Looks like this Mac is SATA 2 only so 3Gb/s - although still a bit slower than I was hoping, but at least explains why I'm not seeing the advertised speeds.

Bottom  line is it IS a lot quicker at boot up (down from 1 minute 40 to under 30 seconds and general use so can't really complain.

Hope this is useful.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: MX300 525Gb SSD and 13" Macbook 2.4GHz Mid 2010 IC2 Duo (4Gb RAM, Yosemite 10.10.5)

Thanks for the update!

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?