MX300 525gb ssd not recognized

Kilobyte Kid

MX300 525gb ssd not recognized

The laptop that my MX300 ssd was installed in no longer powers on, so I took it out and put it in an enclosure case to try to copy the files over to another laptop. Unfortunately, I keep getting messages like "please insert a disk into removable disk e:" when I click on the drive letter that shows up for the external case. I have tried it on a bunch of different computers and laptops, have tried changing the drive letter, have tried downloading different partition and recovery programs (none of them see the external enclosure case), cannot seem to format it (says "there is no disk..."). It shows up in disk management as "no media" with nothing on it and MBR. The ssd was working fine prior to removal. I ordered another enclosure case just in case it's the problem, but I have a feeling it's not.

I have never had this problem before trying to back up an internal hdd in an enclosure case, but this is the first time I have tried with an ssd.

Any ideas?

3 Replies
Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Re: MX300 525gb ssd not recognized

Have you tried inserting it internally into a desktop?  To verify whether it is an enclosure issue or drive issue?  Borrow cables from an optical drive or existing non system HDD and you don't even bother have to adding cables to the system.

If you can't see it there, then try this: http://forums.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/Why-did-my-SSD-quot-disappear-quot-from-my-system/ta-p/652...

As detailed in that link, an unexpected power loss can cause an SSD to fail to be recognised so it could have happened when your laptop failed.  Note also in that link that it is recommended to NOT use an enclosure to recover it.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

If I had access to a desktop computer to put the ssd in, I wouldn't be using an enclosure case. I'm at a point where I need ideas that are not easy to find using a Google search or Crucial site search, because I've tried everything else that I can other than taking it to a PC shop (and, like I said, I have another enclosure case coming tomorrow but am not feeling hopeful about that working).

My laptop did not experience a sudden power loss, either. It was turned off and just won't turn on anymore, so I removed the ssd.

Thanks for your help.

JEDEC Jedi

Sorry, I guess I read too much into your phrase "a bunch of different computers and laptops" Smiley Happy

I guess we'll have to wait and see what your new enclosure does for you.  People have had issues with certain enclosures before so perhaps it will help.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?