MX300 Encryption

Bit Baby

MX300 Encryption

I recently bought an MX300 to replace my existing SSD boot drive. I used Acronis TrueImage to clone the old disk onto the new one (which didn't work very well, but after a lot of hassle, I managed to make it work).

The old disk did not have encryption, but I wanted to setup disk encryption on the new SSD. The problem is that I can't see how to do that. In the past, I've used TrueCrypt or VeraCrypt. VeraCrypt won't let me setup disk encryption unless it there's an empty partition at the very beginning of the SSD where it can put the boot loader. I don't see how to do that using Acronis TrueImage.

I've seen people talking about BitLocker on this forum, but I'm using Windows 10 Home, and it doesn't include BitLocker. So, how do I get encryption up and running?

1 Reply
Binary Boss

Re: MX300 Encryption

BClousing wrote:

I recently bought an MX300 to replace my existing SSD boot drive. I used Acronis TrueImage to clone the old disk onto the new one (which didn't work very well, but after a lot of hassle, I managed to make it work).

The old disk did not have encryption, but I wanted to setup disk encryption on the new SSD. The problem is that I can't see how to do that. In the past, I've used TrueCrypt or VeraCrypt. VeraCrypt won't let me setup disk encryption unless it there's an empty partition at the very beginning of the SSD where it can put the boot loader. I don't see how to do that using Acronis TrueImage.

I've seen people talking about BitLocker on this forum, but I'm using Windows 10 Home, and it doesn't include BitLocker. So, how do I get encryption up and running?

Encryption is automatic and needs no setting up.  Though without the ability to secure the drive while it's off/hibernating, the hardware encryption is basically useless.

If you want to set up a proper MBR shadowing, a small PBA, enable locking, etc. you can download sedutil for free and it takes about 10-15 minutes to set up.  Quite a few people use it.