MX300: Overprovisioning Question

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

MX300: Overprovisioning Question

Hello,

I just bought an MX300 unit to use it for Ubuntu boot & user data (for bulk storage I'm using a NAS).

After read lot of advices on how to setup the SSD unit, I finally setup it with ext4 partitions correctly aligned anf not using discard option in mount and scheduling fstrim command daily instead of weekly (the Ubuntu default). The unit is working as expected.

But I don't know for sure if I need to leave some space unassigned for overprovisioning, or if there is space assigned for it in the unit by default.

Please, if I need to leave space for overprovisioning, tell me also how many?

Thanks and best regards.
14 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: MX300: Overprovisioning Question

The drive has 18GB already reserved (it's 768 of which you can use 750).  You can ofc over provision the drive if you desire but I can't personally recommend how much as I've never done it myself.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Thank you very much for the answer targetbsp.
Bit Baby

targetbsp wrote:

The drive has 18GB already reserved (it's 768 of which you can use 750).  You can ofc over provision the drive if you desire but I can't personally recommend how much as I've never done it myself.

Two questions:

1. Do we know for a fact that the extra 18GB is being used in this fashion or is that the assumption because the raw capacity of the NAND in the drive is 768GB? I'm not finding anything other than this post asserting this. 
  2. What about the 525GB model? How is the NAND arrangement on it? The 750 has eight 96GB packages, each containing two 384Gb 3D NAND dies (according to Anandtech) for a total raw capacity of 768GB. On the 525 MX300, assuming the same packages are used, it would require a minimum of six 96GB packages, each with two 384Gb 3D NAND dies, for a total raw capacity of 576GB. That's 51GB unused capacity on the 525 SSD drive vs 18GB for the 750 SSD drive. Is this truly the case?
JEDEC Jedi

Articles found in google told me this.  (P)reviews and such like.  I haven't googled for the details of the 525 model.

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Hi,

I have the same question. 6 x MX300 525GB here and don't know if they are over-provisioned.

JEDEC Jedi

Yes they are.  You are able to over provision the drives more than default if you wish via Storage Exec.

Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

jhboricua wrote:

1. What about the 525GB model? How is the NAND arrangement on it? The 750 has eight 96GB packages, each containing two 384Gb 3D NAND dies (according to Anandtech) for a total raw capacity of 768GB. On the 525 MX300, assuming the same packages are used, it would require a minimum of six 96GB packages, each with two 384Gb 3D NAND dies, for a total raw capacity of 576GB. That's 51GB unused capacity on the 525 SSD drive vs 18GB for the 750 SSD drive. Is this truly the case?

The 96GB is comprised of two 48GB dies: http://hexus.net/tech/news/storage/93689-crucial-intros-mx300-ssd-3d-nand-tlc-memory-combined/

So it's more likley 5 x 96GB + 1 x48GB.

Giving 528GB.

The formatted capacity of a 525GB drive would be 500GB (1000 to 1024 conversion)

So 28GB overprovision.

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Probably my situation is slightly different from other users but I am running those 6 SSDs in a testing server machine and I have no Windows machine available except from a little ASUS netbook. I connected each disk to an external USB3.0-SATA and Crucial Storage Executive detected each of them but it didn't find any compatible device for over-provisioning.

I also tried to passthrough them on a Windows 7 Virtual Machine using VirtualBox, but even manually setting firmware version, serial number and brand it didn't detect the drives (Windows saw them but Storage Executive didn't).

I found this video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0v163zmZLk ) showing the existence of a tool from Micron (msecli) which did the job directly from Ubuntu.

I made a Bash script that I would like to share with the community. Where should I post it?

Thank you

PS: those SSDs aren't over-provisioned!

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

pietrop wrote:

PS: those SSDs aren't over-provisioned!

You won't be able to see the factory overprovisioing from the host machine.  You'll only be able to see user overprovisioning.  Which will indeed be 0 by default.

Want to be a Super User?