MX300 being used as external SSD doesn't show up properly.

Bit Baby

MX300 being used as external SSD doesn't show up properly.

Hello everyone,

When I plug in the ssd I get the windows sound you get when you plug something in but it doesn't show up on file explorer or diskpart but it does show up with the correct ssd name in device manager though. 

Sometimes it shows up on disk management as a not initialised unknown drive but when I try to initialise it as MBR I get "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error" and when I try to initilise it as GPT I get "The specific disk is not convertible because the size is less than the minimum size required for GPT disks."

I tried it on 2 computers and it's the same issue on both.

As I'm using a SATA to USB cable I tried another drive with the cable and it worked so I think it's an issue with the ssd.

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading

4 Replies
Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Re: MX300 being used as external SSD doesn't show up properly.

@emgray wrote:

As I'm using a SATA to USB cable I tried another drive with the cable and it worked so I think it's an issue with the ssd.

Actually, they're quite picky about USB adaptors.  You'll find a few posts on here that attest to that.  If the drive works fine internally - try a different brand of adaptor.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

I've been using the drive with this adapter for a couple of months now without any issues, would it suddenly stop working with the drive?

I'll try your idea of conneting it internally.

Thank you

JEDEC Jedi

Ah sorry, I thought you meant you were using the drive for the first time.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

I installed the ssd internally as a second drive but the computer wouldn't even get to the login screen (would normally take less than 20 seconds).

It would just be a blank screen for about 30 seconds then the motherboard logo and then the windows logo with the spinning dots for a number of minutes at which point I would hard reset.

EDIT.

I decided to put it in a laptop and tried to install Windows 10 on it using a USB stick.  It took over 5 minutes to get past the initial manufacturer logo screen but I evetually installed Windows on it and it seems to be working fine.  I then installed storage executive and it says the the drive is working fine.  It did tell me to update the drive firmware which I did.

I then attached the old sata to usb cable and now it shows up and everything seems to be fine.