MX500 1TB version 11TB written data in 18days?

Paw
Kilobyte Kid

MX500 1TB version 11TB written data in 18days?

Hi i bought a Crucial MX500 1TB version about two months ago and i have been happy with the drive so far but today when i started Crystaldiskinfo for the 2nd time since i bought the ssd i actually got shocked when i noticed that smart data was showing that the drive had 11TB total host writes and that the drive had 98% health left, the drive has so far only been used for 439h (18 days and 7 hours) so im wondering how on earth is it possible that drive has 11TB total host writes and 98% health left when it has only been used for 18 days and 7h and when it has mainly been used as a system disk, heck i had hardly installed any programs or games on the device so im really wondering where all the 11TB total host writes came from is this some kind of bug or what going on here? I mean after all my two old Samsung SSDs (1x 840 Pro and 1x 840 Evo) have about 20TB total host writes and the Evo has little more then 18TB and they are 6 years old! So im really wondering whats going on here?

Any Advice?

3 Replies
Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Re: MX500 1TB version 11TB written data in 18days?

Hi @Paw

Try to check is there a background process that is trashing your drive. It happens from time to time, for example recently I have learned that in the past Spotify has been quietly killing SSDs life for months.

You can download Hard Disk Sentinel, that can be used for 30 days for free, and you can monitor such information like total data writes and or average writes per day. HDSentinel monitors host writes so it can be useful in your case.

If you would like to check in a thorough manner you could try Process Explorer.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Paw
Kilobyte Kid

Hallo bogdan sorry for the late reply! Yeah you are so right i have actually been reading about the Spotify issue aswell but since im not using Spotify then that cant be the problem, but on the other hand i found a article about Firefox and since im actually using Firefox then i actually thought that it could have been the crook behind the 11TB issue. But after a few days monitoring with Hard disk sentinel and Process explorer i sadly cant confirm this.

https://www.servethehome.com/firefox-is-eating-your-ssd-here-is-how-to-fix-it/

I will go ahead and post pictures from Crystaldiskinfo and Crucial Storage Executive.

https://imgur.com/a/jJIjkYk

https://imgur.com/a/eTa7rq4

Thanks in advance.

JEDEC Jedi

@Paw wrote:

But after a few days monitoring with Hard disk sentinel and Process explorer i sadly cant confirm this. 

What did you find out? What was the average host writes per day (reported by Hard Disk Sentinel)? What is your current reading in Crystal Disk Info?

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!