MX500 SDD not recognized by Acronis True Image Software

Kilobyte Kid

MX500 SDD not recognized by Acronis True Image Software

Hello,

I orderd the MX500. I have connect via a SATA to USB cable. When I try to clone the SDD. I run in to the following problem. Windows recognized the SSD but the Acronis True Image software for Crucial not.

When I open the software I get the message "This product editione requires at least one Crucial SSD be installed in your system."

I have a Toshiba satellite l50d-b-16m laptop.

Could you help me please to resolve the problem?

Kind regards,

Sybren Boschma

9 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: MX500 SDD not recognized by Acronis True Image Software

Did the software come with the MX500 or did it come with an older Crucial drive?  I don't know what comes with the MX500 but from a past post I think the software only supports the drive models it ships with.

You could try other software. There's plenty out there for free.  https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree is meant to be good.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Hello targetbsp,

Thanks for your reply. The software came with the new MX500 SSD.

I tried Macrium Reflect, but that didn't work either. It would'nt copy all the partitions, because of insufficient room but their was enough room.

Then I tried MiniTool Partition and that worked😀.

Bit Baby

I just installed the MX 500 on my Acer AIO. I could not get Acronis to work. I always got an error message. I then tried Macrium Reflect and that had error problems too.  I then downloaded AOMEI. This one worked for me. I think the deference is due to AOMEI rebooting and cloning before Windows 10 bootup.  I think trying to clone within the Windows 10 OS can cause strange problems

Bit Baby

I have the same problem. My new MX500 (250Gb) disk came without any software, but I have downloaded the Acronis cloning software following the redirection from the Crucial SSD support website, but it claims not to recognise any Crucial disk in the system. I've tried 2 different USB to SATA adapters and have the same problem. The disk is perfectly visible to Windows, and using the Windows partition manager I have no problems accessing it or formatting it, or simply copying data to it.

I'm wanting to clone the system disk on my LapTop whivh only supports a single SATA device, so a USB connection is the only solution.

Can anyone assist? (Thanks!)

JEDEC Jedi

Try one of the other cloning programs suggested in this thread.  (Macrium or MiniTool)

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

Macrium failed too, but the error message led me to understand the problem and I since found a solution. It seems like Acronis doesn't like certain USB-SATA adapters. They present the geometry of the drive to Windows differently/incorrectly, and Acronis cannot deduce that a Crucial drive is connected. I removed the HDD from a  LaCie Rikiki USB enclosure (4 security torx screws on the case, and slide out the drive and interface) and inserted the MX500 drive, connected to the LapTop, fired up Acronis and everything worked fine.

Kilobyte Kid

correct me if I'm wrong but the new crucial drive needs installing in the system and the old drive connecting via the USB to SATA adaptor for the Crucial version of Acronis to work properly. this ensures the new drive is recognised properly

Kilobyte Kid

You are wrong.

Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

To address antikythera's point, while they are not correct, and while their preposition of 'new crucial drive needs installing in the system' and 'old drive connecting via USB to SATA' defeats the purpose of cloning an existing system partition to a new, unused SSD,

they also aren't incorrect in the cause being related to drive connectivity -

Many thanks to targetbsp & ECourts for their efforts to workaround the problem - I too had this same issue, new MX500 drive not recognised by the Acronis True Image software for licence activation... until AFTER I had successfully used the minitool partition wizard's clone system feature to workaround the issue, and then tried to re-run Acronis Tue Image - kind of a bit late by then, of course... Smiley Very Happy

Perhaps someone can get the Crucial knowledge base updated to reflect this drive connectivity prereq?

http://forums.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/Acronis-True-Image-for-Crucial-FAQ/ta-p/181236

Sure enough, Acronis True Image detected my MX500 drive AFTER it was written to by minitool partition wizard & set as the system drive, but ECourts most likely hit on the root cause being an incompatible sata-USB interface when the drive is initially attached for cloning target purposes, rendering the entire Acronis True Image software pretty redundant, especially in light of this issue:

http://forums.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/Crucial-SSD-MX500-256Gb-frozen-after-some-mins-in-windows-...

which is apparently a known bug causing freeze/hangs in windows 10?

Recommendation:  Avoid Acronis.  Use something that just works instead, like minitool partition wizard.