MX500 m.2 high temperature

Kilobyte Kid

MX500 m.2 high temperature

Hello, I bought a mx500 m.2 for my laptop dell 7559. I installed fresh windows, but I see that temperature are quite high, 40s on idle and 65 on load. Is it normal or my ssd is faulty?

8 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: MX500 m.2 high temperature

It's normal.  The drives are rated to run at up to 70C at full speed after which they will throttle their speed to cool.

The m.2 drives tend to run warmer, presumably since they have a smaller area to pack all those high speed electronics into.  You'll find plenty of other threads about it on this forum if you do a search if you're unconvinced. Smiley Happy

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

mmm, but this evening I run a test with HD Tune, and under stress it arrived to 81°...is it still normal? My fans activate even when I'm browsing

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Since this is clean Windows install, did you install chipset and storage drivers provided by Dell for your notebook? Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver is a driver that should provide proper link power management for your drive and possibly decrease the temperature. 

81°C seems a little bit high I believe but it can be caused by a poor thermal design of a notebook too.

Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid

Yes I installed every dell driver. Maybe the notebook design contribute to the high temperature, but I read a review from guru3d which states that this format m.2 of mx500 reaches pretty high temp (76°). Do you think that using a heatsink could improve this situation? By the way will these temperatures damage the ssd? In my HD Tune test the performance is shaky, with a bottom peak of 150mb/s, is it again for these temperatures?

JEDEC Jedi

I would check your CPU & GPU temperature as well.  If they are running hot, your entire system will be running hot including your SSD.   You can also check Task Manager to see if any processes are running a bit wild or if something is accessing the SSD (indexing, AV scan, Windows/app updates etc.).   A lot of times the OEM thermal material on the CPU & GPU heatsinks is of poor quality and needs replaced which can drop their temperatures by 10°C.    It is also possible your fan & heatsink may be a bit clogged with dust.

I was stress testing a 2.5" MX500 in a well ventilated Dell mini-tower and the max temp on the SSD was 65°C.   At 81°C, I believe the SSD is engaging the thermal throttle.

If you try a heatsink make sure it has room in your laptop and it won't touch the motherboard components.   This post says modifying the product including adding a heatsink or removing the Crucial label will void the warranty.  If your laptop is already running hot, then a heatsink is unlikely to help anyway.  And adding a heatsink could make things worse by trapping heat & blocking airflow.

JEDEC Jedi

@Arcixx, if you would like to lower temperatures a little bit you can try following registry and options modifications.

Kilobyte Kid

Thanks, I did already those registry modifications. By the way the situation seems improved, temperatures seem lower. I'll monitoring them this weekend

JEDEC Jedi

@Arcixx, please let us know the results Smiley Happy