Mac Vs Windows MX300 Performance Gap

Kilobyte Kid

Mac Vs Windows MX300 Performance Gap

Hi

I was wondering why I'm getting different speeds on my MBP 2012 for using the MX300 on Mac OSX compared to using it on Bootcamp running windows 10?

I was also concerned with not hitting the 500+mb read speeds on the mac osx sides aswell below 500+mb write speeds on both Mac OSX & Windows 10 (Well below on Windows 10)?

1.png

4.jpg

6 Replies
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Mac Vs Windows MX300 Performance Gap

Think you're kind of misreading the results.

You should be comparing the results from Blackmagic with the 'Seq' column in CDM and then there's only a 10MB/s difference at the most.

Regarding sequential write speeds, they may be a bit low due to the low amount of free space.

Not sure but it may help to free up some space.

You see, SSDs in general tend to get lower write speeds when they're getting full.

On top of that, the MX300 is different from a lot of other TLC drives because the size of its SLC-cache (helps improve write speeds during short bursts) depends on the amount of free space.

So if you have just a small amount of free space left the SLC-cache will be smaller.

Not sure if that should really be noticed during those tests however.

Regarding the sequential read speeds, well, that is something the MX300 tends to struggle with but your drive is still not performing as well as it should.

However it's the 4K speeds that are worrisome.

4K read speeds should be almost twice of what they are now and 4K write speeds nearly three times.

Don't know the reason for the low results, maybe they could be improved by changing the power state to active (if you haven't already).

Or it could improve with other drivers or it's maybe that other hardware is the issue.

Kilobyte Kid

[ Edited ]

Glaring_Mistake wrote:

Think you're kind of misreading the results.

You should be comparing the results from Blackmagic with the 'Seq' column in CDM and then there's only a 10MB/s difference at the most.

Regarding sequential write speeds, they may be a bit low due to the low amount of free space.

Not sure but it may help to free up some space.

You see, SSDs in general tend to get lower write speeds when they're getting full.

On top of that, the MX300 is different from a lot of other TLC drives because the size of its SLC-cache (helps improve write speeds during short bursts) depends on the amount of free space.

So if you have just a small amount of free space left the SLC-cache will be smaller.

Not sure if that should really be noticed during those tests however.

Regarding the sequential read speeds, well, that is something the MX300 tends to struggle with but your drive is still not performing as well as it should.

However it's the 4K speeds that are worrisome.

4K read speeds should be almost twice of what they are now and 4K write speeds nearly three times.

Don't know the reason for the low results, maybe they could be improved by changing the power state to active (if you haven't already).

Or it could improve with other drivers or it's maybe that other hardware is the issue.

Thank you very much for your reply! :-)

How/where do I set the power state to active?

And do you mean the windows power state?

The windows power state is currently set to balanced. 

Kilobyte Kid

Yes, I meant the windows power state.

And since you know what it is set to you should likely also know how to change it as well.

Kilobyte Kid

Thanks again! Any ideas what I could do to work things better on the Mac side?
Kilobyte Kid

Have never even used a Mac so can't really advise you on that.

However it might be interesting to test it in your MBP with like AmorphousDiskMark to be able to compare 4K speeds.

Kilobyte Kid

Crucial_CT750MX300SSD1.png