MacBook Pro does not recognize the new installed SSD

Hi Community

Device: Apple MacBook Pro 13 inch
Year: Mid 2012
Model: A1278

Identifiers: MD101LL/A* - MacBookPro9,2

Processor: 2,5 GHz Intel Core i5
RAM: 8GB

I replaced the old HDD with a new Crucial MX300 SSD (Part Number CT525MX300SSD1), and booted my MacBook Pro with Option-Command-R, and was already on the MacOS Utilities screen, to format the new boot disk through of the Disk Utility, the connected unit SSD does not appear, to proceed with the formatting (see attached pic).

What to do ?

not-recognize-SSD.jpg

3 Replies
Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

Re: MacBook Pro does not recognize the new installed SSD

The same happened to me. I solved it formating on a terminal with diskutil (you have to know first the disk number that you can get with 'diskutil list'

Kilobyte Kid

Thanks for your reply.
I have no idea how to do that.
Could you please share a link where explains step by step how to do it?

Kilobyte Kid

First, disconnect any external disk you may have to prevent erasing the incorrect disk..

In recovery mode (Command+Option+R), there is an option Utilities->Terminal which opens a command line.

First get the number of your disk with

diskutil list

you'll see something like

/dev/disk0

/dev/disk1

Do not confuse your internal physical disk with the disk image the Recovery process mounts. You will know which one is the right one because of the size (256 GB, 512 GB, etc). The disk image is only 2 GB size.

Let's say in your case is '0' de number.

Then you run the formating process

#diskutil eraseDisk JHFS+ DiskName /dev/disk0

You can choose different file systems. It does not matter because after showing on the diskutil GUI next time you can re-format to any format.

'DiskName' is only a label. You can choose whatever you want.

JHFS+ is Journaled HFS Plus File System

I suggest googling 'diskutil eraseDisk' to get more info in order to feel comfortable about the process.

Good luck!