Micron 1100 2TB SSD SED vs Crucial MX500 2TB SSD SED

Bit Baby

Micron 1100 2TB SSD SED vs Crucial MX500 2TB SSD SED

Hello I have some questions regarding the MX500 and 100 SED 2 TB SSDs:

1)    What are the differences between the MTFDDAK2T0TBN-1AR12AB and the CT2000MX500SSD1. I see that the Crucial SSD has higher write endurance, why is that? How does the firmware of the drives differ?

2)    How do the drives differ in regards to security e.g. ATA standards?

3)    Does the CT2000MX500SSD1 and MTFDDAK2T0TBN-1AR12AB have a Default MASTER ATA PASSWORD or is it blank?

4)    How does setting up Over-Provisioning in Storage Executive differ in the two drives?

5)    Is the Sanitize/Secure Erase function of the Crucial drive the same as the Micron drive? I.e. does it perform a block erase action where the cells experience an increase of voltage and release bits simultaneously or are they over-written one by one? How long does it take? Are over provisioned cells included in the Sanitize/Secure Erase Function?

6)    Can the Host Protected Area (HPA) be made to zero via the Storage Executive Client in both drives?

7)    Does Sanitize/Secure Erase on HPA areas in both drives?

Thank you.

7 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Micron 1100 2TB SSD SED vs Crucial MX500 2TB SSD SED

I can't answer most of that because I am entirely unfamiliar with the Micron drive.  Traditionally the Micron drives have been OEM, supplied in prebuilt computers for consumers or enterprise level drives.  Crucial branded ones are usually the retail models for consumers.

But with regards to point 5, on any SSD, secure erase does an erase, not an overwrite.  And erasing is very quick - a few seconds.

I may misunderstand the question for 3, but the Crucial drives have a PSID Revert number on them.  if you forget the ATA password yopu have to enter this and it will remove the password whilst nuking the data.  For security reasons, there is no  'master password' that will keep the data if you forget your password.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

For point# 3 ATA Security allows for a User password to be set and a Master password.   The default Master password from the factory is not usually documented by most manufacturers, but a user can change it (a few have been discovered, but I don't recall seeing any for Crucial).   Depending on the ATA Security Level it can act as another way to unlock the drive.  If the User password is lost, then the drive can be put into Maximum Security Mode which will allow it to wipe the contents of the SSD kind of like a PSID revert.   Once a Master ATA Password has been set, I don't believe it can ever revert to the factory default.      

I don't use Windows so I haven't used Crucial Storage Executive, but it sounds like it is performing a standard ATA secure erase.   I've found a standard ATA "secure-erase" can take anywhere from a few seconds up to 30 seconds or so depending on SSD.    An ATA "secure-erase-enhanced" seems to take a little longer, even up to several minutes.    I don't know what the difference is when it comes to SSDs.   As far as I know a standard Secure Erase should reset all NAND cells on the SSD including HPA & bad blocks if it is properly implemented in the firmware.   I think when a Sanitize/Secure Erase or PSID revert is performed on an SED it will change the data encryption key as well.   See question#13 (I think as they are not numbered).

Bit Baby

I have emailed Micron twice and haven't received a response after a week.

JEDEC Jedi

The problem is that Micron don't really supply end users.  That's Crucial's role.  Microns drives for direct sale to consumers are sold under the Crucial brand.  The Micron drives are (unless things have changed recently) intended for OEM use and you'd typically get product support from the OEM.

I'm not sure they're really geared for consumer support.  I just clicked their support link and under consumer sales it has a link to Crucial.  I think the assumption is that you'd be buying the Crucial drive unless your last name was Dell or Packard.

Have you tried Crucial support (via the customer services link in my signature) - I'm not sure whether they'd be able to help or not.

Want to be a Super User?
Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

@Blake123 wrote:

I have emailed Micron twice and haven't received a response after a week.

Try to remind them about your message. As far as I know, they respond to emails.

Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid

Well, probably most of the time.

I myself contacted Crucial twice before - it's been at least a year now, likely more like two and I'm still wating for a reply.

Community Manager

@Blake123 I am sorry for the delay in reply, but I thought I would get you some of the answers we have on this. 

1)    What are the differences between the MTFDDAK2T0TBN-1AR12AB and the CT2000MX500SSD1. I see that the Crucial SSD has higher write endurance, why is that? How does the firmware of the drives differ? MX500 is an newer drive and has a longer warranty period. The Micron 1100 drives is a very similar drive to our MX300. 

2)    How do the drives differ in regards to security e.g. ATA standards? Both drives have TCG/Opal 2.0-compliant self-encrypting drive (SED), they are both compatible with Microsoft eDrive®, and Hardware-based AES-256 encryption engine

3)    Does the CT2000MX500SSD1 and MTFDDAK2T0TBN-1AR12AB have a Default MASTER ATA PASSWORD or is it blank? They do not have a default ATA Password. 

4)    How does setting up Over-Provisioning in Storage Executive differ in the two drives? They are both exactly the same.

5)    Is the Sanitize/Secure Erase function of the Crucial drive the same as the Micron drive? I.e. does it perform a block erase action where the cells experience an increase of voltage and release bits simultaneously or are they over-written one by one? How long does it take? Are over provisioned cells included in the Sanitize/Secure Erase Function? They both perform the secure erase/ sanitize feature the same way. For more information on some of the key features see this article.

6)    Can the Host Protected Area (HPA) be made to zero via the Storage Executive Client in both drives?  I will check with engineering on this.-  Engineering has replied and says that HPA has been obsoleted in the latest SATA spec, so  neither the Micron 1100, nor the Crucial MX300/MX500 support HPA. 

7)    Does Sanitize/Secure Erase on HPA areas in both drives?  I am checking with engineering on this.- Engineering has replied and says that sanitize will clear the entire drive, with the exception of firmware copies, bad block mapping information, and SMART data.  This includes any over-provisioned space which may be inaccessible to the user… it’s all erased.

**Edited to add Engineering info

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

Want to be a Super User?